Thread: Race Car Names
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Race Car Names

Naming your Mustang doesn't necessarily have to be "horse related". Lots of names are from music of movies. I've had "Locomotion" on my Mopars for about 35 years. I liked the songs by Little Eva & Grand Funk Railroad and one definition of locomotion that I found was "power of movement".

I always thought it would be cool to get Little Eva's autograph and pic, but couldn't imagine how to find her. Ironically, several months before the last time I raced at an IHRA event in Kinston, NC, I saw on the news that she had passed away........ after having lived in Kinston, NC for many years!

Names do attract a lot of interesting attention. At an IHRA national event in Stanton, MI. in 2001 a dad came up with his little daughter and said they wanted to check out the car and say "Hi". The reason was that at dance class, the little girl's favorite song was "Locomotion"! I won that race and was hoping that they would still be around so I could invite them to the winner's circle. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain after the last cars went down the track. So I never found out if they saw the win.

"Names" can give announcers a lot more to talk about, like Snake vs Mongoose, or Sheldon Gecker in his King Kong car vs the '55 Chevy called Godzilla. ( Forgot the driver's name.) Great for drawing attention to sponsors!

Magic Carpet Ride
Magnum Force
Tempus Fugit
Mopar Missile
....can't forget Alex Denysenko's "Moneymaker" on his Ford Mustang out of the Chicago area. (Hope he's doing well.)
.......the limits are your imagination. It would be cool to have more of that. It adds some personality to the car and driver. Hope you find a good one.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 12-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote