View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
David, a Suburban is what I have to work with so that is the route I'm going. I have towed up to 6000 lbs with this set-up before and did not have a problem but it was a short distance, from Tampa to Gainsville , about 140 miles, give or take. New 1/2 ton trucks these days can tow 10,000 and up lbs so updating an 88 Suburban should not be a problem. Bigger brakes all around, an axle out of a newer Silverado with a wider track, bigger axles and carrier , h.d. springs and an over the axle airbag system. Can't remember where I saw it but there is a kit to convert 1/2 ton diffs to full floaters. 28 foot enclosed is pretty big I will admit, but when the car, or truck stocker or super stocker is done, yes, I will move up to a bigger truck, if not a motorhome of some sort. Trucks of bigger size with trailer or a motorhome will prob. be required to go thru weigh stations, depending on size. Suburbans from my understanding don't. Not out of the question investing in a Trailer Toad, theres 2 for sale here, and prob. alot more on RacingJunk. I mentioned a lounge in the front 8 foot, it won't have a bathroom, maybe a fresh water and gray water tanks but just for a sink, just a microwave, small fridge and place to sit/sleep.

You are gping to be way over the 6000# with a 28 footer and a car. You seem to have your mind made up. Its just not eh towing capacity, if you get into any cross wind, your Suburban will end up on its side
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote