View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #84
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Shop, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
Very nice, I like that you have a door in the front and the back. The heating system looks great. Not knowing much about this type of heating system, is it more efficient than say what I have. Mine is just a forced air heater hanging from the ceiling powered by natural gas.
Ken,

I am unsure about it being more efficient, but I really like the WAY it heats. Radiant heat warms objects which inturn warm others and so on. Basically the heat stays with you. Forced warm air is just that warm air movement. Air movement moves things such as dust and dirt also, and it has a blower that creates sometimes more noise.
With the radiant heat in the floor the concrete holds the heat and anything that touchs it becomes warm also. I notice a marked difference in the heat in the shop when the door is opened to move a vehicle our and then the door is shut. Returning to a comfortable temp is very quick because less heat is lost. Warm air may leave the building but the concrete contiues at the same temp. The concrete must be kept at a temp that you desire because should it cool, the process to return it to a given temp becomes very costly and time consuming. Maintaing the temp is much easier.
Finding a person to hook up the system was one of my biggest problem, but I did find the right guy and it works quietly and effortlessly, everything stays warm and dry. I have also noticed that in the summer with no windows I don't get any sun and it does not warm near as much and stays farily cool. I may try a dehumidifier next summer when it gets hot and it may cool it down real well.
I have seen several racers mention this in the past and just continued it further myself. Thanks to classracer for that!