Thread: Veteran Issues
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #26
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: Veteran Issues

Probably 10 years ago, I never would have considered filing a VA claim. My dad (deceased) was a POW in WWII. He did not file a claim until he was 73 years old, even though he had numerous health problems as a result. My grandparents sent 4 sons into WWII. One was killed in Normandy, Dad was a POW in the Battle of the Bulge, one was severely injured and one made it home OK. Up until recently, I always felt that my 2 years in the military was my obligation to ensure that we keep this country free and safe. I served and did it proudly…..I made the best of it…..I was promoted to E-5 with just 13 months of service.

As I get older, 66, I see things differently, and I would like to have those 2 years back, and add them to my life now. Obviously that can not happen. But the 2 years that I gave, I had no choice…..I was drafted.

My feelings about filing a VA claim changed with the current administration (right or wrong)……When you see things like "Obama Phones" for free, but not free for everyone????? And the ever increasing number of people living off of the government (tax payers), via food stamps and welfare. Maybe I am getting a little selfish in my old age, but……what did these people ever do for our country to entitle them to get taxpayer money for doing nothing, while a serviceman gets nothing.

When I retired, 8 years ago, I really thought we were set for life, financially. That has changed with inflation, insurance (ObamaCare) costs, fuel, etc. Even though we are doing OK, we are unable to do some of the things Donna and I planned on, during retirement. Yet, you read about all of the money this government spends foolishly….immigration, abroad, welfare, and bull sh-t.

So, I have no reservations about filing a VA claim now…..selfish…maybe. Entitled..I don’t thing so….
Deserving? I believe so.