View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Henry S

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Sportsman Advisory Counsil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Oldfield View Post
IMHO, the current S/St national event schedule is crazy. I realize that they're trying to do one event in each division, but my guess is that you have a LOT more competitors in the Northeast than you do in the Midwest (and when I mean Midwest, I mean Kansas, not Ohio). Yet, right now, St. Louis would probably be the ultimate place to live if you were a S/St racer, as you'd have 3 races (Dallas, Chicago, and Topeka, and not including the Sportsnationals) within about 500 miles.

In the Northeast, we obviously have Englishtown, but from there Chicago and Atlanta are each going to be about 800 miles for the majority of the racers in the Northeast.

So, have one national event race in each division to give all of your competitors a shot at racing at a national event. But then add a few more events to the schedule in the geographic regions with the highest density of S/St racers.

I think the other complaint that people had about the S/St races is don't put so many in a row. Topeka / Chicago / Englishtown are back to back to back. I don't think any S/St racer would go to all 3, but I could definitely see a bunch trying to go to Topeka / Chicago or Chicago / Englishtown.

All that said, my preference would still be for ALL CLASSES AT ALL NATIONAL EVENTS, INCLUDING S/St!
I understand your opinion and agree that S/St should be contested at all events. In checking the NHRA points for S/ST for div 1 and div 5 here is the breakdown:
2005: Div 1 146, Div 5 177 point earning drivers
2006: Div 1 153, Div 5 170
2007: Div 1 140, Div 5 167

look like div 5 has more drivers than div 1, and the fact that in div 5, quite a few racers travel more than 1,000 miles each way to three in division races. As for this thread I agree with the recomendations for oil down penalties, having S/St at all events, payouts could be better, ( as suggested to be payed out at event).
Here is a question? Since everyone has to preregister for National events, and the tracks know how many cars they can handle, could there be a way to have reserved spots online, that could eliminate some of the problems during parking at those events.
Henry S is offline   Reply With Quote