Thread: '66 Malibu N/SA
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #329
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Well, it's been a while since I did anything significant to this car. Instead of upgrading anything I've been spending all my money on travel, race gas and entry fees. The best ET so far is 12.383 (-.617) at Sonoma.

I had some issues with getting the pressure switch and 2-step setup working well, and then problems with the distributor clamp (of all things!) but those seem to be sorted out now.

I managed to scrape together enough money this month to finally do something that will hopefully make a difference; replacing the heavy stock-type disc brakes with Wilwoods.

So here's the setup I started with:

I weighed components as they came off and weighed the counterparts before installation. I removed 40 lbs. from the front of the car, about half of it rotating weight.

I found in the process though that the left lower ball joint had popped out of the a-arm! I'm not sure how that happened but now I'm planning to replace the whole setup there, a-arm, ball joint and bushings to get all fresh parts there.

Once that's fixed I'll have two AZ Stock/Super Stock Association races to check it out and get some practice driving, then I'm off to the Winternationals to cross that off the bucket list. Although a big motivation to run Pomona is that my son is currently living in the LA area so I'll get to hang out with him for the weekend!
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked