View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #14
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: ...excessive Braking Is Interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kenny View Post
With a 1900lb dragster, I have seen data (forget the drivers name) that shows when you dump 26 mph in the right lane of the Super Comp finals at the 2007 Belle Rose Sportsnationals, it's about 9 hundredths.

That's strictly on the top end ... no screwing around before 1100'.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...r2007#indextop
That sounds about right. My calculations were that you had to scrub 20 mph over the last 130 ft. to scrub a tenth. So, if you can scrub 26 mph over a slightly shorter distance, say about 90 ft., you would scrub about a tenth.

All that said, I think doing so you're starting to approach the danger area.

Bob, I don't think anyone on here would have an issue with somebody scrubbing 10 mph and a few hundredths. It's the examples like above that I generally don't care for. But, even then, I can't put a specific number on it. If somebody timed the parachute right and hit the brakes simultaneously 120 ft. before the finish line, I'm guessing they could scrub a good amount of speed, and, more importantly, do it safely.

All I know is that you'll never catch me pounding the brakes at the finish line. Hitting them, sure. But pounding them? Nope...it's just not worth it to me.