Thread: 1978 Mustang II
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: 1978 Mustang II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Spent some time at a backwoods salvage yard today. Managed to find a 302 long block with the correct casting number 2 barrel intake. It was setting out in the elements and is missing the timing cover and water pump. Am positive the block is locked up. Won't know what I have until I tear it down. Am hoping the heads will be salvageable, if they are the correct casting number?

Thought I had found a set of Hooker headers over in Ohio. After contacting the guy and having him verify the part number, they were actually for a 71-73 Mustang. A little research saved me a trip and possibly buying something else I couldn't use. He did tell me he had a lot of sbf parts. Even said he had some 2 barrel carbs. I may still yet have found a source for some usable parts.

It's been 36 years since I last worked on a SBF. Need to go buy a couple books and renew my knowledge of these engines.
Robert, if the heads are shot let me know, turns out my Comet had a 78-vintage motor in it, the heads (D8OE) are really nice, recently overhauled. I cleaned up and put 77 heads on the shortblock and calling it a 77 lol! Lots of 2bbl 302 stuff here in Montana, holler if you need something!
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote