View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: attention NHRA and IHRA Where have all the class racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3racing View Post
Jack, you just hit a button. Very few will take the time to teach a young person about our sport. Some just go try on their own but very few. The future of our sport is passing the history on to the next generations. Open up your shop to younger generations and teach them how to work on engines, set up a car and take it to the track. I enjoy working with my son and grandsons, 13 and 6. I have about 6 young men who come in the shop on week nights, after they get off work, and work on either the race car or on one of the classics. Three have engines on engine stands and are learning to build their own engines. You are correct take young people with you to the track, give them some small part to do at the track. Intoduce them to your old friends at the track

Don't forget to give that young gear head a ride around the pits in a open header class car !
I was interested in race cars before my free ride, but afterwards I was hooked !

This is my first season running in IHRA Stock, but it took me 30 years to get to do it, so cost is a big issue for alot of the younger gearheads.
Plus, for the same cost, alot of the younger guys can run heads up classes in the NMRA and NMCA without fear of going "too fast"...

Last edited by ALMACK; 10-01-2012 at 04:12 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote