View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #80
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: 1968 Dodge Darts (Factory SS/EA 440's)

Just a little conversation with Paul C on these 1968 Dart GTS 440 equipped A-bodies...

PC;
I'll try to dig up the one article I have on the special
68' 383 GTS (w/440 conversion) for SS/EA.

From what I recall, The SS/B and SS/BA Hemi A-bodies were not going to be ready (NHRA-approved) until the 68' Springnationals.

Chrysler got wind of Ford putting together (and getting NHRA approval) for the SS/E and SS/EA 68' Cobra-Jets.

Dick Maxwell got Tom Hoover to rush through '6' 440 Darts under NHRA guidelines, the 440 engines had to be installed at the factory, not
an out-sourced shop.

They were quick-fitted at the factory, and shipped over to Ted Spehar's Woodward Avenue Garage. Both Dick Landy and Charlie Allen drove to Michigan in early-January to pick up their cars.

Dick Landy re-did his car out in his California shop, and Charlie Allen ran his just the way it was set-up.

HM;
Thanks good stuff PC, if you can scan it and post it in the 68 Dart SS/EA thread that would be great... Also I can't seem to find anymore info or photo's on any of those other 68 440 Dart GTS's that they made for SS/EA or any other class. Do you have anymore info or photo's of the Rockville Center Dodge Dart GTS and some of the other 68 440 Dart's (or 68 440 Barracuda's), that is if they even made any of those for SS/EA.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote