View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
krugracing12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: cbs latest on handbrakes?

The second or hand brake system is independent of the foot system. the only common pieces between them are the brake rotor and the plate from the rear end that holds the dual calipers. The safety comes from if there is a failure of any brake part other than those, you still have brakes. If you break a line or fitting, pedal/rod falls off or other M/C failure or a pad or the caliper fails, you still have a complete braking system to stop the car. Ten years ago I broke a simple fitting on the only brake line at LVD and crashed, the brakes were fine when I staged but at the stripe the pedal went right to floor with nothing. My new dragster has 2 independent sets so that a simple failure wont wreck me again. The failure would have to be very severe to disable both sets at the same time.
I was told by D-1 Tech Director Ryck Campbell during chassis cert that the rule book states if they work together having the 2nd brake is legal, meaning if you pull the hand brake and the pedal moves and vise-versa its legal. I am now fashioning an adjustable morse cable between them to comply with the rule without taking the handle out. I have no intention of doubling my single motion brake capacity, either system individually will easily lock the brakes up at any speed. Just comply the one of the more poorly thought out rules to come along in a while.

Bill Krug
T/D 1531
S/C 1531
S/G 153K
krugracing12 is offline   Reply With Quote