View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Default How do YOU..... promote drag racing?

Do you promote drag racing, and if so how? Do you feel that it's someone elses job, and all you have to do is race? Would you like to see the sportsman classes thrive with ten deep at the fence? How about more payout for all the long hours spent on your race operation? Do you feel any obligation and/or responsibility to introduce/promote/sell your product to the general public? Have you noticed the pros in NASCAR and NHRA using plain white trailers? I have'nt, I guess it's because they feel the need to promote and generate interest. They actively court the fan and that sells shirts, hats, toys and oh yea...tickets! I know they have funding in place for these programs, and we struggle just to get there with our entry. But I feel we all could do a better job of promoting the sport that we love. With the low car counts, talk of folks quiting, enhancments, etc etc, what are you doing to keep it alive. I know, you race and you promote on your car. But you promote to folks that are already there at the track....they already bought a ticket! We need to attract new fans and that means everyone working towards that common goal. I'm not saying form a picket line with support sportsman signs, but you could get involved in some community functions ie. local car shows, grand openings, school and church functions, etc. And you guys that arrive a day or two early for an event could roll the cars out at a local shopping center or busniess. You can't sell interest when you hide your product in a plain white box, and then you pull it out forty miles outside of town. What do you do to promote the sport you love?
I would involve the track operators and/or NHRA/IHRA. A racer could sign up to be availible for a remote promotion the day before the event starts (those retired, have a sugar daddy, or just are rich and don't need to work)! LOL There should be no problem gathering a dozen racers to participate. And when you do there's a dozen prime parking spots saved at the track with your name for your efforts. Do you get it? It's not hard to understand or do, you just have to put in a little effort. And for you problem childs, don't bitch about them getting the prime spots. They would have been there first anyway and got the spots. Plus they are promoting so you'll have a place to play again next week.

Why have 30 to 50 rigs waiting in line at the track to get in tomorrow. You could have 4 or 5 shows off track at a remote location for thousands to see....think about it! Hold the prime pit spots for those who give the extra effort!!! They would have gotten them anyway!!!

For the folks that must work, that's OK you get a pass. We're working, promoting for you just get here when you can....we'll keep the light on for ya!

Hey, good luck to those racing this weekend and thanks for keeping it alive!

Plan your work......and work you plan
Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote