View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #29
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Is NHR Cursed or Something ?

OK Chris,.....but in my old feeble mind.....all your really doing is the same thing as every other internal combustion engine with a battery powered ignition. Fire the spark at the right time with enough intensity to get a good flamefront. Hemi or not....it is moderate compression, not supercharged or turbo charged and is burning race gas. It doesn't really need anymore than any other engine. If your coils are overkill....your just wasting energy......A blisteringly hot spark is not going to make it run way faster than an adequate spark.

My Lt-1 had an MSD 7al and the box went bad. I installed a Digital 6 and the recommended coil.......The spark it could generate was as I said......more than enough to fire any sparkplug in any stocker engine........

Art.....I have no doubt your combination is somewhat different but it's a Turbo and a small engine......so I would think it is very sensitive to small changes.......

I have a story I can tell about MSD's needing a minimum of xx volts to fire but just to make the story short........lets just say that I have made runs down the race track with a very low battery and no misfires whatsoever.......One of those runs was the final round of a National event......