View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #28
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is NHR Cursed or Something ?

No way all those coils are firing at the same time........they fire sequentially with the firing order.....or am I missing something......One MSD hi output coil vs 16? firing sequentially.......basically low current draw for short periods of time on 16? coils, probably not all that much higher overall amp draw than one continuous high output coil....,,Ever see the output of an MSD coil at about 6000-7000rpm? I have an MSD tester and it allows you to fire your ignition without running the engine......at any rpm. You can almost cut metal with the arc it can produce.....If I could add air to it and ionize it.....VIOLA.....Plasma Cutter........[/QUOTE]

No we charge 1 coil PACK, which has 2 windings in it, WE light em with 20 amp igniters, most others 8amp, but at 9k WE can also throw a full arc across a .070 gap if we want without blowing out.

Of course we only fire 1 cyl at a time, in order......

So Im firing 2 coils for every cyl fire, AND Im using 20amp igniters, hence I said, 2 to 3 times.....The stock coils fire at about 40kv we are kicking em off at over 90kv. In addition we have a 1 farad buffer capacitor for the igniton system.

One of the BIG problems is there are no aftermarket coils suitable to anything other than 40kv, now Irv Johns and Doug Duell have proven this is adequate, BUT both have also found out that without 16v systems the cars run like crap, cut out and have start issues, both started with 12v systems.....(I may be wrong about Irv, he may be runnign 2 12v batteries) And we have the abilty and do turn our motor over 8k....

I WANTED to run 16 LS2 "Yukon" coils at 120kv but, well since the rule is "Stock Number of Coils" well....they are looking at that rule since it was intended to keep COP people from going to single coils not the other way around.

So, trust me on this 2-3x the draw is correct....Ive got a 3 inch stack of scope outputs from the car that leave no question.......

We had issues caused by other things that at one point we thought was a result of EM interference from this "Maximum Overkill" solution of mine, but it was a "quick and dirty" setup that leaves no issues on the ignition side.

Make sense ?

If I thought I was firing all the coils every cyl fire I would have said 16 or 20x the current draw....
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)

Last edited by Chris "drooze" Wertman; 06-03-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote