View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #26
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Is NHR Cursed or Something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Chris...Try this.....Plan to race the car somewhere where there is no long drive with some kind of basically insane amount of time to get there. Race it locally where there is no pressure. There is no fuel check and no weight check and all you need to do is show up.....ON TIME and pass tech. Make as many runs as you can. If the computer or the tune up is wrong.....well forgive me but you need a new "tuner" because it should sure as hell go down the racetrack if you dyno'ed the thing. Get enough battery power in the car along with a working alternator.......There is no reason an EFI car can't go up and down the racetrack numerous times with minimal difficulty and without a dead battery. My LT-1 Firebird did with one battery and an alternator. Never had a problem. I tuned my own ECU.....No dyno....Basically no help from anyone on the tuneup. I can't see why what you have should be that much more complicated.
You had professional help in the tuneup area.....so I am wondering why there are so many problems cropping up.....

In the old days we raced our cars locally to get it as good as we could long before we ever went to say a National event. Of course there were very few national events but it makes very little sense to go to a national event and struggle with things you should have sorted out locally. Of course it's your choice to do anything you wish.......it's your time and money......

My advice....race it locally as much as possible to get it right and get the driver(s) comfortable........
Rich, these fuel injected coil over plug cars do strange things with voltage. I know nothing about the Drag Pak cars.
But on my little 4 cylinder. Coil over plug car, I need the alternator working to get the most out of the car. And I have a full sized battery up front, good grounds in multiple places, etc.
If I turn off the alternator I lose a couple of hundred rpms. I tried this driving on the return road and its like hitting the brakes. If I run without the alternator on I lose 1 1/2 tenths.
Even with the alternator on I lose a almost a tenth by leaving the electric fans on.
The ECU is supposed to work at 11.5 volts (which it never gets down to).
It just does the opposite of what you would expect. Small motor, low horsepower, I swore the alternator would slow me down. But it is the opposite.
And I A-B-A tested it a few times. I believe it has something to do with the coil over plug.
voltage requirements.