View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #46
69javman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Remember when we had to leave the pits ?

1985. July long weekend. Friends racing at Sanair at the Nationals- me in Halifax. Saturday morning before I left for work at the speedshop, a guy shows up to buy my '74 360, 4 sp Cuda-16000 original miles. I had $8000 cash!!!

I called a friend to drive me to the airport around 5:00 pm. I buy a one-way ticket for Montreal and arrive there around 9:00pm. Start looking for a hotel- nothing available because of the long weekend. Resolve to hang around the city all night and find a way out to the track in the morning. Around 11:00 pm I see a friend of mine from Halifax staggering around St. Catherine's St.!!! He's there because he won a weekend trip from his job and he's got a room- I have a place to crash.

We hit a few of the clubs to watch some 'dancers' Slept for about 3 hours. Got up around 7:00 am to look for a way out to the track. Found out that one of the city buses would take me most of the way- but then I'd be on my own. Managed to thumb a ride the rest of the way with someone else heading to the track. Got to the track as my friends were eating breakfast and getting the car ready for eliminations. I believe they won Superstock that year- Greg Nickerson SS/EA Camaro.

I know there's no motel thrash involved here, but it was one of the best weekends- racing or otherwise- of my life.
69javman is offline   Reply With Quote