View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: "Budget" 2-car hauling?

2nd on reconsidering a diesel. Each brand of diesel has its own positives and negatives, but they all work better than gasoline engines when pulling that kind of load.

I have a 32' tag enclosed trailer. I have towed it short distances using a half-ton Blazer (with add-a-leafs and double shocked), but I would never do it if not in a pinch. So far I have only used that trailer when moving cross-country (twice), and so far prefer to use an open trailer when racing locally (only running one car). The prior owner towed it with a Class C motorhome with a big block Chrysler, it worked okay except for the horrendous mileage. I towed it once with a 1982 GMC crew cab dually with a "turned-up" 6.2L diesel, would never try that again (horrible on hills). Replaced that with a 1995 Ford F350 (CC DRW) with a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel, even stock it pulled it well. With a few mods it pulls even better.

Years ago I knew a lot of people using gas-powered ramp trucks pulling open trailers, they seemed to work okay except for the mileage.

My eventual plan is to build a F450 pickup with a Cummins 5.9L engine, then use it to haul my slide-in camper while pulling the 32' trailer with both cars in it.

Regards,