View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,029 Times in 313 Posts
Cool Re: Times are a changin.

The economy and job loss have to be a big part as to why races are not filling up this year. You know NHRA put a big thing out "Fan relief for the 2009 season" to slash tickets for fans so they can sell more tickets to get more fans into the races but, what about the racers? They cut the Atco National Open back 1 day to save Sunday for a rain date (In which it looks like they will use since it's pouring out) and it's still $ 135.00 to get in, the same as it would be if we went for a 3 day event. Here's something for everyone to chew on when I was out in Arizona for the D-7 race at Firebird we had lost early and since Tuscon was the next weekend we loaded everything up and headed to SIR. Now the track owner is good friends with my buddy John Taylor and he was telling us that he has to pay NHRA $ 20,000 to have a divisional race there for 350 cars. If he gets more then 350 cars he has to pay an additional 100 or 200 dollars to NHRA per car over 350. Talk about crazy since NHRA is already getting 165 to 175 per racer to enter the actual race.
I just know a lot of people that I have talked to are going to be doing a lot more bracket and association races this year. Now trust me, I would love to win a wally and put it on my fireplace and have my name in the dragster but, I'd almost give that up to race 1 day at a track for 2,500 or a MASGA race for 1,000 rather then being stuck at a track for 4 to 5 days and maybe win 1,500 and have to battle with companies for the next year to get my money because I run their products. Just my 2 cents....Kelli don't yell at me because I'm not party planning.
BKSG1198 is online now   Reply With Quote