Thread: Frozen block
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Frozen block

Just an FYI to all -

Those plugs are not "freeze plugs" or "frost plugs" like everyone thinks. They are actually "core plugs" which are used in manufacturing to get the sand out of the sand cast block. Many times what was described in the posts is what people find, plugs pushed out, so they have been mistakenly inrterpreted as freeze plugs for ever. I think this is what has given people the idea they have more freeze protection than they actually do. However, from the replies, you can tell how well they don't protect from freezing. I think we all tend to do things the easy way, myself included, but getting the antifreeze circulated is critical. Draining the block is not a bad idea, but I would have anitfreeze circulated first, because even the block drains still won't always get all the water out. Maybe if you winterized in September like the boat owners, then any residual would have time to evaporate.

Just wanted to pass along in hopes of helping everyone better understand their investments, since they are so expensive to replace.

Last edited by Ron Finney; 02-26-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Ron Finney is offline   Reply With Quote