CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Epping Redlights and rollout change? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=20377)

Eric Merryfield 09-14-2009 11:18 AM

Epping Redlights and rollout change?

Question: Is the distance between the staging lights changed for the pro runs and then back for sportsman?

At epping, there was a noticeable difference between friday and sunday. Had to creep further in to light second bulb In stock 14 of the 28 first round runs were settled a la rojo........

In no-box ET, my unofficial count was something like 7 out of 8 of the regular street footbrake class participants went down on red in round 1. Something was clearly different.

The technical question part is if they changed it from 6-8 inches, can you make an adjustment in time that will save your bacon?

Michael Beard 09-14-2009 11:56 AM

Re: Epping Redlights and rollout change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Merryfield (Post 140536)
Question: Is the distance between the staging lights changed for the pro runs and then back for sportsman?

No.

Quote:

At epping, there was a noticeable difference between friday and sunday. Had to creep further in to light second bulb.
The distance between the pre-stage and stage beam is irrelevant to your rollout if you are shallow-staged. You could take the pre-stage beam and throw it away. For shallow stagers, rollout is determined by the HEIGHT of the STAGE beam. Changing the distance between the pre-stage and stage beams would effect the rollout for a car that is Deep-staged.

Eric Merryfield 09-14-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Beard (Post 140539)
No.

The distance between the pre-stage and stage beam is irrelevant to your rollout if you are shallow-staged. You could take the pre-stage beam and throw it away. For shallow stagers, rollout is determined by the HEIGHT of the STAGE beam. Changing the distance between the pre-stage and stage beams would effect the rollout for a car that is Deep-staged.

Thanks, so I get this straight, if the height of the stage beam is a bit lower? it will decrease reaction times and vice versa if a bit higher? Hadn't really thought about this before sort of explains track to track uniqueness, with shallow staging all other things being the same. How level the beam is would be important too.

Michael Beard 09-14-2009 04:35 PM

Level, square, height, crown of the track, depth of the 'groove' of an older track surface (and where you stage left-to-right) are all factors. Think about your front tire, when the stage beam is (un)blocked, and how much of your tire the beam 'sees', and how it relates to your r/t's and ET's.

gmonde 09-14-2009 05:58 PM

what is positioned height of the of the stage beams? i am currently working on reaction time as it relates to roll out gmonde

Michael Beard 09-15-2009 07:17 AM

Roughly 1-5/8", but that can change depending on what stage beam height is required to come up with the right measurement on the track or sanctioning body's rollout wheel. Ironically, having the same physical rollout distance can result in wildly different reaction times, depending on the timing system. I'm not exactly certain why, but certain timing systems have certain characteristics... probably the type of photocells used, or their sensitivity settings.

63corvette 09-15-2009 03:52 PM

A couple of years ago at the Topeka National event the tech official admitted after the fact that the roll out was changed for Saturday after the Friday night qualifying after the Pro Stock Bikes had issues with the roll out. It bit a lot of sportsman racers on Saturday when they hit the track for eliminations.
If changes are made every racer on the site should be informed not just those well connected.
My 2 Cents

George Mirza 09-15-2009 06:27 PM

The monster Kenworth Jet Truck could have something to do with it. It did blow half the foam blocks off the track. I never like racing after a jet anything.

Oh well, on to the next race!