CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Camaro Rear Wheel Backspacing??? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=12027)

Keith Bennett 07-27-2008 04:03 PM

Camaro Rear Wheel Backspacing???

I am building a '69 Camaro Stocker 396ci stick, I plan on running a 10" wheel. Can anyone tell me what wheel and backspacing you run?
I have Aero Space disc kit for my car.
Thanks

Keith

Alan Roehrich 07-27-2008 08:22 PM

Re: Camaro Rear Wheel Backspacing???

It really depends on your housing. Around 5" to 5 1/2" should get you close.

Keith Bennett 07-27-2008 09:23 PM

Stock housing, when we measured it we came up with 4 1/2 inch backspacing I would need. Then I wanted something lighter than weld drag lites I had. But the Alumistar only comes in full inch increments. I ordered new rear disc set that the hats are 1/4 inch each, that would make up for 1/2 inch that I am off. I am not wanting to run spacers even though it would only be 1/4 spacers...

Keith

Joe Sprint Bros 07-28-2008 11:25 AM

Keith, I think with a little attention, you can use a 10" Holeshot wheel with 4 7/8" BS. Call John @ Holeshot wheels in Bunnell Fla, (800)372-4533. Joe.

jason patterson 07-28-2008 12:59 PM

I had a 4.5"back spacing 15x8 on my 70 camaro, Im going to a 5" back spacing 15x10 Weld Magnums they work on my car. About 1/2" of space from tires to shocks.

Bill Harris 07-28-2008 07:18 PM

Hey Alan, why would it depend on your housing for stock? Rule for rear end in stock says "distance between backing plates may not be changed". ??

Keith Bennett 07-29-2008 12:37 AM

Thanks Guys,
I will check on the Holeshots.
The Weld Alumistars I checked on are 5" backspacing. Which is what i wanted to run because they are light, but they are 1/4" to deep. So I just thought I would ask on this sight with all the knowledge here.

Thanks again
Keith

G Schenck 07-29-2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 77303)
Rule for rear end in stock says "distance between backing plates may not be changed". ??

Now that there is down right funny.

Greg

Alan Roehrich 07-29-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Harris (Post 77303)
Hey Alan, why would it depend on your housing for stock? Rule for rear end in stock says "distance between backing plates may not be changed". ??

Bill,
I've seen some funny stuff up under some cars in Stock. If you think about it, there are a lot more 12 bolts in Camaros, Novas, and Chevelles than there were from the factory. Sort of like there area lot more 9" Fords in Mustangs than there were from the factory. I AGREE with you, they are SUPPOSED to be stock width. But when was the last time you saw NHRA measure one? Besides, at least 1/2 of them have rear wheel disc brakes (including the car he asked about) and they don't even HAVE backing plates. I'm not judging or accusing, I'm not EXCUSING either, just dealing with the real world. By the way, I left out the possibility that the aftermarket axles can and often do have a different distance from the bearing to the flange, not to mention a C-clip eliminator bearing and block. The guy asked about wheel back spacing, I figured I'd try to get him pointed in the right direction, and he could deal with whether or not his housing was legal to the letter of the rule.

Bill Harris 07-29-2008 05:10 PM

Don't get all worked up Alan.. I'm just pulling your chain!! Don't make me come out there with my tape measure.....!!!