CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   327 MLS Head Gasket - Reuseable? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=39709)

Lew Silverman 03-21-2012 02:49 AM

327 MLS Head Gasket - Reuseable?

Getting ready to put the 275HP/327 back together. Can I reuse the FelPro MLS #1143 head gaskets? The engine only had 8 runs on it before I disassembled it, and the gaskets still look good (no tears in the coating). Any special prep when I reassemble?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Lew

art leong 03-21-2012 08:50 AM

Re: 327 MLS Head Gasket - Reuseable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Silverman (Post 316660)
Getting ready to put the 275HP/327 back together. Can I reuse the FelPro MLS #1143 head gaskets? The engine only had 8 runs on it before I disassembled it, and the gaskets still look good (no tears in the coating). Any special prep when I reassemble?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Lew

Hi Lew. I reuse MLS head gaskets at least 2 times. First time I just put them on as is second time I use copper spray. I have even disassembled them and mixed and matched the inner shims. to adjust compression ratio

Alan Roehrich 03-21-2012 10:42 AM

I reuse my Cometic gaskets 2-3 times. Not sure how the Fel Pro holds up doing that.

Lew Silverman 03-21-2012 10:57 AM

Thanks so much!

I guess I'll be OK with at least one re-use. The Cometic's are on my "wish list" for the next rebuild! I've got a can of the old K-W Copper Coat for a little bit of insurance.

Lew

Marine One 03-21-2012 08:59 PM

The beauty behind MLS is their ability to compress and seal. They are not intended for multiple reuses on standard production vehicles. With that said, we are not standard production / daily drivers running glycol / antifreeze.

If you plan to pull heads quite a bit, it makes sense to do what you can to salvage and reuse these as many times as you can. Since the problem would be head to block sealing, I would probably consider doing something to help identify potential H2O leaks entering the combustion chamber...maybe as simple as removing pressure from the coolant system before loading up and heading home, or take a baseline compression check with new MLS gaskets and use that as your benchmark to compare it to samples taken later in the season.

In addition, the smoother the surface finishes of the block / heads, the better MLS gaskets seal. Hope this helps.

Mark Yacavone 03-22-2012 12:11 AM

That's a .040 gasket. How far are the pistons above?

Duane Eiskant II 03-22-2012 02:32 AM

Lew, i know we had talked before about me coming back to AED in Richmond and it being alittle bit of a ride for you, but please check with me when you need parts. At one time (still going on) allot of the local engine builders were getting the cometics from us because our pricing was so good. Its worth a phone call to us alteast. (804-271-6076 ext 12), I'll do everything i can to help you guys out anyway i can. That goes for all our class racers, and the everyday customer. Did i mention we do ship UPS daily? May not be able to beat everyone's price out there but can come real close to them. Sorry to hi-jack the thread but just wanted to let you know about the pricing and when your ready for the cometics atleast let me price them for you. You might be surprised.....Thanks, Lil Duane

Lew Silverman 03-22-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 316897)
That's a .040 gasket. How far are the pistons above?

Mark,

I know I'm giving up a little bit of compression by going to the .040 MLS gasket, the theory being that they might seal better than the steel-shim OE-style .018 spec gasket. The deck height was set at the .002 called for in the engine guide.

Lew

randy wilson 03-22-2012 03:08 PM

I have used cometics 6 times with no leaks. Just threw them away on the 7th, couldn't take the chance. Just saying.

Mike Pearson 03-22-2012 05:03 PM

the cometics arent cheep but if you are careful you can use them several times. I have used them 3 times so far on my engine with no problems. .025 thick on my engine.