CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Top Sportsman and Top Dragster (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lebanon Valley Flooded (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=19358)

krugracing12 07-29-2009 11:12 PM

Lebanon Valley Flooded

Lebanon Valley is having the worst flooding it has had in many years. If you have equipment on the grounds I would go there ASAP. The staff and racers were moving trailers as best they could in waist deep water to higher ground,however the water was a foot deep at the clubhouse when I left. Rt 20 is closed at Nassau from the east from a washout.

1855sc 07-30-2009 06:37 AM

Re: Lebanon Valley Flooded

Bill,

Any word on the Track? How is the water around there today?

Debbie Moses

ScottHall 07-30-2009 06:59 AM

If everyone can wait a few hours, Wayne and I will have a decision made. I am hearing some unimaginable things about what its like there.........

But as with any information, we are waiting to get confirmation, and make a relaible call on what we will do. We want to give a heads up as soon as we can to save people time and money, but we also want to support the track and managment that has supported us!

Scott Hall
203-689-4010 at work today

pentastarrail 07-30-2009 07:11 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

ScottHall 07-30-2009 07:26 AM

I just got off the phone with Wayne Hofmann, who just spoke with Howard Commander.

Here's The Real Facts:

-The barriers are "floating" in the middle of the track
-Part of the shut down is missing from the water taking it away
-The gas company had to come and removed all the propone tanks before some bad happened
-The concession stands are under water
-If you know where Wayne Hofmann parks his RV.........the water was up to his WINDSHEILD WIPERS....he's on his way now to check it out
-Howard has an excavation crew on call to start repairs when the two feet of water is off the track

At this time, the weekend is cancelled, and nothing can be determined until everything is looked at, so any future make up is not evena priority at this time.

Keep Lebanon Valley in your thoughts this weekend.....Howard spent a bunch of money to improve things, and now this.

Scott Hall

ItsyBitsySpider 07-30-2009 07:49 AM

Holy cats! This is terrible news.
I was just there for the divisional race and was impressed with how nice the track, personnel and grounds were.
Lebanon Valley is in my thoughts and prayers too.
Please keep us informed.

Dave Steltz 07-30-2009 08:50 AM

I can attest personally to what it was like there last night...we got a call from Sue Bell to come get our trailers...I got there about 10 pm...

First off coming east on 20, Nassau looking really bad, water was running thru the streets, its was kind of unreal...and several spots on 20 closer the water was running across the road and it was about 6-8 inches deep (maybe more I was afraid to look !)

When we got the to track and drove in, oooo man... We park our trailers by the concession stands in the fenced in lot, and the water was up to the top step on my RV (class A)...lots of trailers were there and dependant on where they were parked, water was up to the side doors and higher...We drove SLOWLY thru the lake and the exhaust pipes were under water and sounded like boats (funny now but not then)...We got hooked up and got outta there...It appeared that the water was rising but I wasnt sticking around to find out...

Many thanks to the crew up there...they had the big loader out pulling out trailers and RV's, and thank god they called us...

Across the street from the track, in the field where lots of RV's and Campers are parked, I saw some with water up to the windows...I really felt bad for those folks, there was no way they were getting moved last night....

ScottHall 07-30-2009 11:11 AM

"Its worse than you can imagine....thats why I came out here myself"

That is what Wayne Hofmann just said as he is standing on the main road looking in.

As he described it, a 55 gallon drum is about 42" tall. Well, the water THROUGHOUT the pits is just over the top of all the garbage cans.

He said the water is flowing around, but has no place to really go. The water is over the top of the jersey barriers on the race track.

Howard is out pulling trailers out with anyone who is willing to get there out at this point. Waynes own RV had water up to the windsheild wipers in the back lot!

There are a bunch of TV stations on the main road covering the mess at LVD, so you local people will see on TV first hand.

As I said before, keep LVD and the staff in your thoughts....this is the kind of stuff that takes alot of effort to recover from.

Scott Hall

ScottHall 07-30-2009 12:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lebanon Valley Flood pics from this morning.

Dave Steltz 07-30-2009 12:28 PM

Saw this and thought I would share some more...This is pretty awful...

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/...egionCookie=12

knsrace 07-30-2009 07:18 PM

We just want to say thanks to the Lebanon Valley crew, our fellow racers, speedway racers, and owner Howard. Everyone pitched in and saved our equipment except for very muddy trailer floors the race cars were intact. Once again thanks. Our thoughts and prayers to those who lost equipment.

Kenny and Sharon Edgar

lvd2340 07-30-2009 08:04 PM

Here's a link with some pics from the flooding

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

SEBELL1862 07-30-2009 10:04 PM

First of all, let me explain- over 8" of water fell in the Lebanon area yesterday afternoon. What was throught to be a moderate storm dumped more water than anyone can imagine into a small area washing out roadways and flooding places that haven't seen water like this since the early 70's. It rained so hard it shut Route 20 down further east from the track with over 4 feet of water rushing over the road. All this water had to go somewhere.....of course the track was down stream and was dealing with the deluge of downpour itself.
Here is a status update as I spent most of the day at the track answering phone calls and trying to get a handle on things. The facts as the water level went down- most trailers were able to be accessed as of this evening. Even the ones in the outer field that were underwater were accessible tonight.
We even saved a few fish who had become disoriented and stranded!
There is a section of the jersey barrier in the right lane near the main turn off that has been turned over and undermined. According to Howard, the crews are in line to begin repairs on that tomorrow, which I know as a fact because they were meeting with him this afternoon when the area was visible.
The pit area near the fuel depot and the cross over into the field is no longer there- it is a big hole where the rushing water eroded everything away. Tonight, the contractors were looking over the situation and fill will be used and blacktop will need to be reinstalled in this area. Right now, even a good leap wouldn't get you over the gaping hole leading towards the field and fueling at the depot is impossible because of the cave in.
The water was still in the staging lanes, so it is impossible at this time to know what that area was like. I can tell you it was like the rushing rapids last night.
The timing system right now is still under water. The holes that usually house the timing system looked more like water drains today as the water continued to pour out of them. The system is being pulled apart, repaired and fixed as we speak so that as soon as the water goes down, it can be reinstalled.
We are moving forward. Realistically, I'm truthfully thinking we may be operational by the Night of Fire. Howard being true to his word had the doors of the club house open tonight and the place was drying out as it was the first to become accessible. Crews are on standby to get in to clean up as soon as areas are clear. Howard told me tonight if the weather holds maybe we can have a test and tune on Sunday. Saturday is definitely out of the question. Only time and weather will tell.
Crews were still working at 9pm tonight with large pumps to clear the water out of the oval track which was spilling onto the dragway in hopes to move the water back to the creek.
Once again, as the water level goes down, we will deal with the situations at hand.
Thank you to all for their help and cross your fingers as they are calling for more rain tomorrow (Friday). We'll be back up and running as soon as humanly possible.

ScottHall 07-31-2009 06:27 AM

Thank You Sue for the information.......

I know you'll keep us informed with reliable info as it happens........:)

Scott Hall

dracer1988 07-31-2009 10:59 AM

Here are some pictures I took last night. Nothing really other then the big hole by the gas pumps. And look at the water line on the black trailer behind the Ford truck. We got lucky, had water in the trailers but it didn't get into anything on the cars.

http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/DRACER1988/

GaryGoFast 07-31-2009 11:30 AM

What a shame, I feel sick for the racers that had their stuff there.

RayStantonJr 07-31-2009 04:21 PM

Hi guys,just wanted to thank,sue,derek,nick,jean,mark and everyone that was trying to reach me wednesday night.i had my phone off and woke up thurs. 7am to the messages.i thought my car and dragsters were done,they were 'only' under 3 feet of water with the fronts receiving only an inch or two ,thats where the engines to the car and dragster were thank god.i want to thank ed moran the starter at lvd for being there with that backhoe he saved my 2 trailers and made it possible for myself and with the help of nick graham to dry them out within hours.thank you ed, i understand you worked very hard wednesday/thurs, 3am.last i,m very sorry for brian,wendy,nelson and the other racers that were not as lucky ,i hope we can all get our cars together very soon and race,howard i seen the track today 'fri' your doing a great job........ray

Rich Biebel 07-31-2009 06:12 PM

Man thats some bad looking pictures and I'm sorry to see them. I raced there a few times and really like it up there. I hope the damage to racers and track property is not as bad as it looks.....

SEBELL1862 07-31-2009 08:49 PM

Today, crews showed up at the track with excavators, fill, stones and all sorts of pumps, brooms and cleaning equipment. The clubhouse was cleaned out and under pretty good condition. The water had gone down enough where the parking lots were clear and the water was out of the concession stands. The jersey barrier was removed and the fill was put in and tamped until.....it rained!
Yes, once again the track and the grounds are under water. Water is once again running through the club house. The good news I guess is that it is a foot less than where it was at it's worse point the other day. Unfortunately, we start at square one once again.
Tomorrow morning, we will be back at the track chasing the water away and cleaning once again.
Keep us in your prayers as we tackle what appears to be a never ending battle. As of tonight's news....another round of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday.

Sue Bell

Brian Hansbury 08-01-2009 08:12 AM

Its 10 am sunday and i just finished making room in the garage for the flooded cars and trailer we are hoping to be able to get them here to the house this am and start the process we never dreamed we would have to do clean up from a flood wendys car was submerged and my dragster they tell me didnt get it as bad i havent seen the stuff yet i am prob gonna cry its our whole life there racing and ourt racing friends and family ........thanks for everyones help and wishes

Brian Hansbury
Wendy Beall

G E T Racin 08-01-2009 09:07 PM

FOR SALE:

1997 Holiday Rambler Imperial, runs (still), drives good (remarkably), some light damage and not everything works anymore. Could use a light cleaning---but has been recently powerwashed by mother nature. Price negotiable.

Bill- Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!! (once again)

Gary Traeger

td1506 08-02-2009 03:14 PM

All of us at antinora team racing wish the best of luck to all at LV .We were there for the div. and a Saturday top dragster race , we were rained out for the Sunday race. We really enjoyed the good times we had there. We will be back when the top dragster race is made up .
Gary and Barb

Dave Steltz 08-03-2009 01:20 PM

For those of you who are curious (like me) and wanted to race this weekend, check out the LVD website...

Says we will be racing this weekend....

Fantastic job by a dedicated owner and crew....

Michael Galofaro 08-03-2009 04:47 PM

With all the damage that was done to the pavement in the pits and shutdown area I am wondering how nothing could have been done to the track ??? Would love to come up friday and run the show - but really do not feel like wasting my time or possibly worse.
If someone knows what the deal is please inform us - and not just them being open for racing. Rushing something just for the sake of being open probably would not be the smartest thing to do if everything in not the way it should be.

Dave Steltz 08-03-2009 07:37 PM

Ok fans here is some first hand info...I drove up tonight and walked the grounds, and took some photos for myself, and I spoke with Howard for about 15-20 minutes..

First let me tell you, unless you have been there, or experienced a real flood first hand, you cannot imagine the damage that water can do....there was alot of damage done and no one shoudd think that it just got "wet"...

Now for the good news...the track is CLEAN and the return road is CLEAN and the staging lanes are about 85% cleaned up...I am truly amazed how good it looks for what it must have been..From what I understand they are going to try to get street night in on wednesday and that will give us a good gauge of what the track is like, but I gotta tell you if you didnt see the rest of the facility you wouldnt really know that it was flooded...Steve and some guys were working on finishing up the clocks, lights, etc, and the score boards were lit up and the lights were working at the starting line...

Some of the paved pit areas are starting to clean up, there must have been what looked like 6 inches of mud on it at one time, and they are going to start in the morning sweeping up and then washing down the pavement...

I gotta tell ya, unless something crazy happens, it looks like this weekend will happen...If what I saw tonight is any gauge of the rest of the week, we will be racing on a great track once again this weekend...
I am planning on showing up on Friday afternoon for the Night of Fire, and lets all hope that the rest of the cleanup goes well...

A HUGE THANKS TO HOWARD AND CREW, FOR WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF GETTING OUR TRACK FIXED UP... I cant say enough, but I made sure I thank Howard tonight when I saw him...
Please if you are a LVD racer stop up and do the same....

RayStantonJr 08-03-2009 08:15 PM

Hi guys,i read the last 2 posts.mike your concerns make sense,dave thanks for your trip to the valley and the update.i have been driving past every night after working on my car and daughters dragsters with nick graham at his shop,the dragsters are drying out nice and we are going through them front to back. We are planning on taking heather's top dragster fri. I don't know how everyone feels but taking in all.... What has happened in a week,, an 1/8th mile competition for super and pro would not be a bad idea for fri. We would get the first half ready for sat/sun it would be safer,faster show and the fans would still see great racing( all the stands end at the 1/8th anyway).even when the track is great we still get the dew after sunset ,,,just a thought.......i want to thank howard also he is a great person and quit is not in his vocabulary. Ed moran thanks again for pulling my trailers out . Ray stanton

Michael Galofaro 08-03-2009 10:51 PM

Listen not to sound like a dick - but street night is not going to tell us anything on how the track is going to be. Someone going 11.20 can drive over bumps and even pavement that has shifted and not even know it. Hit it at 200 ++ and you are going for a ride !!

He should just postpone the event and run a regular bracket program and then see how the track is with 7,8,9 and 10 sec cars. It's fine and dandy that they are busting their balls to get the track back to normal - BUT it should be for the correct reasons and made sure everything is correct and not just to have the "show".

I could be wrong and maybe overly cautious - but it's my *** in the seat and my wallet if something crazy did happen. I'll look foward to hearing how it was.

ScottHall 08-04-2009 05:12 AM

Wayne and I talked last night about the Friday Night show.
Originally the track wanted 8 of the fastest cars we could get to show up.
Last weekend we had planned on making plans and talking to Top Dragster racers and getting 10 or cars up there friday night.
Wayne spoke with Howard and let him know that himself, and others, including myself, will not be attending.
Between not giving guys enough time to plan, and the questions that no one can answer about the track conditions in race mode, we don't feel it right to bring in racers to even run 1/8th mile, if the conditions are not perfect.
We have no doubts about Howard and Steves ability to have the place up and running. But this economy has caused many of us to have a little more "thoughtfulness" about how bad we really want to race sometimes.
Our intentions originally where to gave a group of cars that would run from 6.50's to low 7.1's in a 8 car field. Running 4.20's at 165 mph is just as hairy on a decent track that has lots of time on it.
Wayne and I have been behind LVD all year, and are in the process of resceduling the final weekend of Top Dragster so we can finish of the season correctly.
I would hope that anyone would understand our decision to wait it out and give LVD a few events to get everything back to normal.
I'm sure that the track will still have room for anyone who still wants to run fast on friday night, and advise you to call the track and get information concerning this.
The LVD Top Dragster Series will be announcing the make up weekend as soon as we can find a date that works.

-Scott Hall

jmknights 08-04-2009 06:13 AM

The Valley will be ready for racing Weds night and for Friday nights "NIGHT OF FIRE"... I spent time w/Steve Gay and Ed Moran yesterday to get insite on where they stood in cleanup. Steve was cleaning the track w/the tenant machine... And expected to have it done yesterday. Yes there is mud everywhere but was drying as my wife and I drove around and Howard told me he will be ready! I can't post any more photos because the photos I put up on the dragway website from Scott Hall caused some to think Lebanon would be closed for the rest of the year....Btw, I take care of the website with Sue Bell's help delivering me info for posting. I'm the photographer for those who don't know me...Barriers down track are back in place, staging lanes and quarter mile are clean of debry and mud. And as mentioned Steve was washing the strip yesterday. The hole at the fuel depot was filled when we got there yesterday new drainage pipe was being put in place.
There should be no doubt in anyones mind that they will be ready!:)

:( I can't even tell you who bad we feel about those race cars that got trashed by the water. My wife I spend hours on the track in hot sun and freezing cold, and sometimes to 10:30 to 11:00PM in the winners circle for the racers because they make us feel like family. God knows it's not for the money. If we can use dragways website to keep all up to date on racers needing help as suggested by Ray Stanton. I will do anything to help make that happen..
And please thank Howard and crew for the countless hours spending on the cleanup. 10 inches of rain@!!
Jim & Diane Knights

RayStantonJr 08-04-2009 07:45 AM

Hi guys,read mike and scotts posts.yes your right in not coming your cars running 6's @195+ would be too much car for a fri. Night show even on a great lvd track because of the after sunset moisture.we are going with heather's top dragster fri. Even if its only for burnouts/330 shots and checking her car out. Listen everyone i,m a quite guy but after thrus morning seeing my cars almost destroyed/trashed and ed moran on that backhoe busting his butt to save my stuff and all the other workers at the valley working so hard,i owe it to them to show up fri. In support.i have been coming to the "valley" since i was a kid over 30 years now. This is my second home i love spending it with my daughter. Lebanon valley dragway needs all the racer's support....... support howard,ed moran these guys that have been giving 120% cleaning up what i seen as my worst nightmare. Me and heather will be there fri. In support of lebanon valley dragway my second home. My best wishes for the racers repairing/cleaning thier race cars up. Brian/wendy hope everything is going well. Ray stanton

Brian Hansbury 08-04-2009 08:37 AM

hey guys ray is correct be there and support the track i am gonna try and make it if i can get out of work early enough wendys car is gutted right now no engine trans or rear end there is alot of hours in it so far i am planning on having it there for sunday the water was up to the bottome of the dash for quite a bit but after some sorrow and tears we are pluggin along to be back with our track family .....thanks sooo much to the krug famliy and krug farms and also dale scaccia and phil molski plus my daughter who was there scrubbing and cleaning along with all of us .....i am hoping there us enough hours to get her done for sunday ,,, 1/8 mile would be the best bet i think also

lvd2340 08-05-2009 02:18 PM

here's some more pics of the the flood that either i or others have taken

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Flood%20Day2/
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/DRACER1988/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ood%20Day%202/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d%20Aftermath/

i'll be up the tonight to see how it looks, i hope it's not gonna be a dustbowl with all the mud and dirt that was left behind from the flood. the track looked actually looked really good when i was there saturday except for some damage at the edge of the track where the barriers fell over. however the they were placing dirt track tires cut in half under the excavator probably i would think to protect the track from the tracks digging into the track BUT the tires dug imprints into to track, so i can only imagine how that will feel to a something with no suspension or worse yet a motorcycle. i can only hope he does something to fix that.

Dave Steltz 08-05-2009 05:24 PM

Billy, let us know how it looks tonight, I was planning on coming up tomorrow night to see how work was progressing (especially at the entrance of the staging lanes where its all tore up)...I want to come for the night of fire, but if the pits are still muddy or that isnt fixed I might re-consider....

I expect the track to be reasonable and the return road not bad based on what I saw Monday...

I'm certainly not top dragster speed, but 8.70@151 is fast enough in a short wheel base car that I dont want any surprises...

Maybe Howard will consider 1/8 mile ????

SEBELL1862 08-06-2009 07:49 AM

The track was open for street night last night. The cars were making it down the track fine- of course they were street cars with street tires so take it for what it is worth.
I can honestly say that it was dusty. As the night went on- it appeared to get better but we know we have a lot more clean up to do. The pit area is coming along and drying out. The area by the fuel depot that was damaged is being filled in and worked on. Jersey barriers are back in place down track and everything on the track is dry.
This will all be a work in progress and all we can ask is that people understand that and support us. Reminder it has been less than a week since everything was under several feet of water.
I understand about the safety concerns of all the racers. I too have my concerns about the safety of everyone because you are all like my family. I don't do my job at the track because I get paid a lot of money because I don't, trust me. I do it because I love the sport and love the people and if I can offer something to keep drag racing in the area I want to do it. My daughter also races as well as my husband when he gets the itch. Both with dragsters.
Having said that- here is my opinion and the favor I ask of all of you-
Do not be too harsh and judgemental about the conditions right now. The track needs to be reconditioned so to speak- it's green just like it is in the beginning of the season. The starting line last night was at best marginal. It needs to be scraped and redone just like at the beginning of the season until it gets some rubber on it. Down track doesn't appear to be too bad- the repairs have been made and everything is in one piece.
Friday night is a show. In my opinion it should be a celebration- not of how fast we can race but the fact we CAN race. The fact that we were able to get even street cars down the track last night with time slips is amazing.
We have survived and we will continue to get things under control and continue to get better. The crowd that will attend will more curiosity seekers because of all the flood coverage. The most we can do for our sport is to show these people what we are about- a family.
I personally would like to thank everyone for their support and kind words. My fingers are crossed and my prayers are with those who had equipment damaged, that the road to recovery will be quick. It's been a tough road.

Sue Bell

Dave Steltz 08-06-2009 08:19 AM

Sue thanks for the update..

Its great to hear that the track in up and running, say what you want but Howard did/is doing the right thing..

And you are right...we will do all we can to support LVD, as its our home away from home....

RayStantonJr 08-07-2009 08:22 PM

THE FRI. SHOW WAS INCREDIBLE,STANDS PACKED STANDING ROOM ONLY.THE TRACK WAS LIKE NOTHING HAPPENED. HEATHER RAN 7.30@184MPH 1.082 60 FT. THATS WHAT WE RAN THE SAT. BEFORE THE FLOOD. THANKS NICK GRAHAM FOR COMPLETLY REWIRING/OVER HAULING THE DRAGSTER. JET CARS/TRUCKS OVER 220 MPH .NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THAT GOOD. HOWARD,ED AND THE LVD CREW DID A FANTASTIC JOB , GREAT SHOW ,GREAT RACING. GUESS THIS CAN BE PUT TO REST NOW.LVD CLOSE TO NORMAL.http://www.classracer.com/classforum...cons/icon7.gif

Gary Parker 08-08-2009 05:37 PM

I was also there. Amazing. Hats off to all that did the impossible.

lvd2340 08-12-2009 08:52 AM

Traction was excellent on friday night for the Nite of Fire, my 60ft times varied only .006 all night. BUT for sundays points day was as bad as i've seen it all season, prob as bad as i've seen it in a long time. First time shot track was great but quickly went away after that. I lost .01 in 60ft my second run and and addition .025 by the third and it stayed that way my next two runs. Another racer who says that his car never ever spins had his car spin that day too. I don't know if more dust was being dragged up that day than before or if the excessive dust from the speedway the night before caused problems i don't know. The track was not balding up at all that day so i'm not sure what the problem was, the track was having problems balding the previous two weeks before the flood. Hopefully everything will be fine this coming weekend.

RayStantonJr 08-12-2009 10:59 PM

HEY BILLY,YOUR RIGHT THE TRACTION WENT AWAY 2ND ROUND OF ELIMINATIONS.HEATHER'S DRAGSTER WENT OUT 6 FT AND BLEW THE TIRES OFF.I THOUGHT SOMEONE DROPPED SOMETHING OUT IN FRONT OF US.I,M GLAD TO SEE IT WAS NOT JUST US AND IT WAS MORE THE TRACK,I,M ALITTLE DISAPOINTED IT WAS NOT BETTER. http://www.classracer.com/classforum...cons/icon8.gif