CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tech West Racing Services MSD Upgrade (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=37282)

Rob Petrie E395 11-17-2011 08:22 PM

Tech West Racing Services MSD Upgrade

Tech West out of Huntersville NC claims they have a upgrade for MSD boxes. They list the cost between 65-90 dollars depending on what box they are doing it to. They claim that the engine will make more HP and TQ and even have a dyno graph showing the increases. Has anyone done this and does it really work. Seems to me that if the box and coil as msd makes it is fully igniting the cyl then modifing it to make a hotter/longer spark would not help. I am curious about what you guys think about this. Their website is Techwestracing.com Look under the tab labeled "Upgrades" for what I am writing about here.

Alan Roehrich 11-17-2011 08:29 PM

Re: Tech West Racing Services MSD Upgrade

I'm pretty sure he is a member here now.

eddie c 11-17-2011 09:08 PM

His thread handle is: twrs 2006.

Rob Petrie E395 11-17-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie c (Post 294236)
His thread handle is: twrs 2006.

I started this thread because I did not want to mess up the other thread on plug wires. I did not even know that was him LOL. Hopefully he will see this and explain it better(the box upgrades) like he did over on that thread for plug wires. If he does I have another question. I have read all the stuff on the tech west site about fine wire plugs and i was wondering if there is a chart or something for swithching over from a regular plug to a fine wire plug? (IE Autolite AR3910, AR3911 or AR3923 plugs what are the equilivant plugs only with fine wire in them) And do you sell them. I would like to try that as well but looking around the last couple of nights I have not come up with anything for converting from one to another and still have the same heat range.

JCChildress 11-18-2011 10:14 AM

We have used him and talked to him several times and he is an extremely nice and knowledgeable fella.
Try looking up Brisk spark plugs. Were getting ready to do a lil testing with them on our roundy round engines.

Adger Smith 11-18-2011 10:49 AM

My first encounter with Pat was shortly after MSD quit working/ providing us V-6 racers with the modified odd fire box.
Listen to him, he has more than just the box improvement that has worked for me. It was not only with my own special odd fire V-6 box, but the box/system for a well known Comp racer I have helped. One of the "real" advantages was to get consistency of the tune-up from the dyno to the car.
When you know you are getting 1250 HP on the dyno and 1100 from the car it is time to call Pat.
Pat has also helped one of my customers that races boats. I've had the pleasure of talking to Pat for many hours and what he does is not "Black Magic". He applies sound principles of electronics and changes some of the components in the boxes that could have been originally installed as "cost savers".

Reed Granrt 11-18-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adger Smith (Post 294289)
My first encounter with Pat was shortly after MSD quit working/ providing us V-6 racers with the modified odd fire box.
Listen to him, he has more than just the box improvement that has worked for me. It was not only with my own special odd fire V-6 box, but the box/system for a well known Comp racer I have helped. One of the "real" advantages was to get consistency of the tune-up from the dyno to the car.
When you know you are getting 1250 HP on the dyno and 1100 from the car it is time to call Pat.
Pat has also helped one of my customers that races boats. I've had the pleasure of talking to Pat for many hours and what he does is not "Black Magic". He applies sound principles of electronics and changes some of the components in the boxes that could have been originally installed as "cost savers".

Come on now Adger
I just a box back and my dyno only picked up 2 tengths (.2). I really thought it should have been good for .4 so I talked to them again and he is going to make some more changes. Crap, I luv this stuff. Dont chu
reed

Adger Smith 11-18-2011 11:00 AM

Reed,
OH!, you just had one black box get .2 for you.... Then you need 2 boxes for .4.... Simple math!! :~) Seriously.. Yes I do like this.

Adger Smith 11-18-2011 11:06 AM

Rob,
You have a PM

Reed Granrt 11-18-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adger Smith (Post 294292)
Reed,
OH!, you just had one black box get .2 for you.... Then you need 2 boxes for .4.... Simple math!! :~) Seriously.. Yes I do like this.

Crap Adger
I did not read the structions. I went back and read them last nite after the 4th beer and it specifically says add one box for every .2 that you want. Duh. So now I gots to ask has any bidy gots any more boxes that I can get cause I want .8. I wonder if you have to stack em or put them side by side. Any help here
reed

Rob Petrie E395 11-18-2011 12:07 PM

Tech West
I talked to a few guys about your upgrade this morning and they all seem to like it. I am going to try and get out one or two more times this year. As soon as I am done for the season my box will be on its way to you. Any info you could pass along about crossing over my plug numbers to fine wire would be appreciated.
Rob

B Aceves 11-18-2011 01:10 PM

Tech West,
What if your using a 16volt system , I see all of your box checks are done with 12vdc can the box upgrade still be affective with a 16vdc system ?

Jeff Lee 11-18-2011 03:55 PM

Ever work with the ICE Ignition? PM me if you want too

68camaroSS 11-18-2011 07:39 PM

Tech West
What about the digital 7 boxes ? I have the 7530T. Last time I talked to you, you were not doing any upgrades to them. Is this because they are that good right out of the box and no improvements need to be made? thanks

rallye bob 11-18-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68camaroSS (Post 294385)
Tech West
What about the digital 7 boxes ? I have the 7530T. Last time I talked to you, you were not doing any upgrades to them. Is this because they are that good right out of the box and no improvements need to be made? thanks

Yes, Pat....
Could you specify which (MSD) boxes benefit from your "upgrades"?
I am running the #7520 box with the #8261 coil.

B Aceves 11-19-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twrs2006 (Post 294445)
Upgrades are availible for the following, MSD 6a,6al,6aln,6t,7al2 and MSD 8 (7800,7802).

The following boxes already have faster switching transistors, MSD 7al3, 7al2 Plus,6632 HVC and all of the Digital 6's & 7's.

To step up the performance of the boxes we can't upgrade please take a look at the Maxpwr20 Voltage Regulator www.techwestracing.com/page21.html.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Pat,
I checked your web site on the max 20 Volt regulator and my question is on the B+ that goes between the power source and the unit if you are using a MSD #8830 noise capacitor that is in the same circuit does it matter which side the Max 20 is on of the capacitor or is it compatible with the Max 20? thx

Chad Rhodes 11-19-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B Aceves (Post 294484)
Pat,
I checked your web site on the max 20 Volt regulator and my question is on the B+ that goes between the power source and the unit if you are using a MSD #8830 noise capacitor that is in the same circuit does it matter which side the Max 20 is on of the capacitor or is it compatible with the Max 20? thx

i would think it would have a filter in it

Barry Polley 11-19-2011 08:30 PM

Pat. I understand there is a new upgrade for the 7AL3. Can you tell me more?

B Aceves 11-20-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twrs2006 (Post 294540)
B Aceves

Yes, part of the job Maxpwr20 does is provides clean DC voltage to the box. You can leave the line filter cap in place it won't hurt anything. In your application you would lift the Large Red wire & Large Black wire from their current connection points on the MSD box. Then the wires that provided + & - to the MSD box will instead provide the input power to Maxpwr20. Then you would take the output wires from Maxpwr20 and hook them to correct Large Red wire for + and Large Black wire for - . Look at it this way your just breaking the connections for main power and putting the Maxpwr20 in between the main power in & your MSD box. Also your Ignition switch wire will need to be removed from the small Red wire of the MSD box and connected to the white wire of Maxpwr20. Because Maxpwr20 will signal your MSD box when its time to play because you will hook up the ignition On ( small Red wire also to the output side of Maxpwr20.
If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Thx for the info Pat !!

428tom 11-20-2011 10:34 PM

can you do anything to Crane Hi-6 units?

Bridgewater7185 11-24-2011 12:51 PM

Does it matter what coil is being used w/ 7al2??

Joe Schweigert 11-24-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techwest Racing Services (Post 295274)
Bridgewater7185

Short answer Yes, if you want the best over all match to the 7al2 then use the MSD 8251 coil most popular shops retail it around $135.00. If your currently running the MSD 8201 coil Please get it swapped out before next season.

Pat

I have went thru 2 8261 coils with 7AL3 box The 8201appears to be similar higher output is it more reliable? I have the 8251 in the car now and have never had an issue with it. when I went to the 8261 I saw nothing back to back runs.

pfordamx 11-25-2011 10:58 PM

Pat

I have a msd digital 6, and was wondering what coil you would suggest since msd says the 8251 is just for the 7 series and up boxs? i also have a 7al2 that i'm currious if a modified 7al2 and 8251 coil would provide better results the my digital 6?

Robert Simpson 11-26-2011 10:11 PM

Pat I have a MSD in the mail on the way to you. I look forward to trying it next year.

Robert

mannymen 11-28-2011 12:39 PM

Tech West,

I have an older 1997 or 1998 model MSD 7AL-3. Can you checkout the box to confirm that there are no issues with it and perform any upgrades that occurred over the years? Also, do you recommend the 8201 or 8251 with the 7AL3 boxes?

Thanks
Manny

Ed Carpenter 11-28-2011 09:04 PM

Pat I sent my 7AL2 to you to be updated. I am using the 8251 coil. Thx. Ed

Mark Lewis 11-29-2011 08:34 AM

What is the best coil to use with a 6al box, optispark dist and crank trigger being used with it. How long to update a box?
Thanks
Mark

Tom Goldman 11-29-2011 09:29 AM

Pat , at this years Dutch Classic at Maple Grove ,I helped two racers with MSD 7AL3 units diagnose problems.
Both units failed on the magnetic pickup input ,but still would function when tested on the points input.
I've been told this is somewhat common on the 7AL3.
Do you have any upgrades available to improve the reliability of the magnetic pickup input ?
I'm concerned since I also have one in my car.
Thanks , Tom

Jeremy K 11-29-2011 11:01 PM

Pat,

My toy will be arriving late this week or early next week. Also, I sent you a PM to ask a couple questions. Do you prefer I use techwest@techwestracing.com to contact you?

Thanks,

Jeremy

cad 12-02-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techwest Racing Services (Post 296026)
Mark Lewis
The best matching coil for your MSD 6al would be either the Autozone C-839 or Carquest FD-478. Either will work....

Are these the recommended coils for all 6al boxes, regardless of the combination?
I've been using the same MSD 8207 for at least 15 years.
I've never had an issue. The last bracket race of this fall in October, I didnt have to change my dial for 6 rounds and went 3 rounds in a row within .004 with only about 10 minutes of downtime between each.
I'm still interested in the upgrade, just curious, if it will be beneficial, or if it is just cheap insurance?

Thank you,
Clark Doukas

duke66 12-02-2011 04:21 PM

This is Cad's Dad. Is there an upgrade available for the 6AL? What are the sparkplug wires that you recommend? This is a 12 to 1, 383 SBC. What wire electrode sparkplug would you recommend.
Thanks,
Duke

lareagle 12-04-2011 11:33 AM

HI Paul
MSD 7al2 can you build timing retard inside box?
Thanks
Larry

duke66 12-04-2011 03:33 PM

How many volts input will a 6AL stand? I know your Maxpwer 20 is 20 volts. Will a 6AL stand 24 volts input?

GTX JOHN 01-26-2012 04:33 AM

Pat:

We run HVC Blue Coil on MSD 6AL on a couple of our Low Compression

Small Block Stockers.......would we be happier with one of you recommended

Coils? They sure are less money on initial purchase.

Thanks,

John Irving

Reed Granrt 02-22-2012 10:51 AM

I had a customer to ask me a question, yesterday and I had no good answer. He asked which is better of the 6AL MSD units., a reworked analog(Tech West unit) or the new electronic digital MSD 6AL.
reed

Reed Granrt 02-23-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techwest Racing Services (Post 311017)
Reed Granrt

Short answer, currently an upgraded analog 6al will out perform both stock boxes from Texas. The advantage a Digital has is a little smoother Soft Touch Rev limiter than the analog version from the testing we have done with in house customers. That being said we are working on an upgrade package for the Digital box that should take the box to another level as well. We have multiple in house testers that have been running the Digital box in tandem with an upgraded box. They all have come back with their staying with analog box until we have the Digital box package ready to roll out later this year. I hope this answer your question, if not you know where to find me! :)

I have had both types on my dyno with a scope hooked to both and everything I could look at here said that the analog box was better also, but my equipment to check is limited and I did not want to give a false answer.
Thanks for the reassurance
reed.

Reed Granrt 02-24-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techwest Racing Services (Post 311098)
Reed

Easier to ask then explain a wrong answer! Been there done that......:-) Have a good one & try to stay out of Trouble!!!!!! :)

I tried staying out of trouble one time, and it wus no fun at all
reed

Anthony Fetch 03-01-2012 07:40 PM

Hey Pat I just wanted to let you know I shipped my msd 7al2 and according to the tracking it was left at the front door. If you can just confirm that you have recieved it. You can reach me on my cell 732 966 7731

Thanks
Anthony Fetch

Jeff Niceswanger 03-02-2012 09:12 AM

Hi Pat
I have stumbled on a Tech release Addendum quoting that the PN 7530T ( among others) will " shut Down unexpectantly" if a resister is not added to the "power on" line while using 16 volt battery's if the hand held PN 7550 Monitor is left hooked up..It states that if your unit has R1 or R2 stamped on the end panel,updates are already installed and this resister is not needed. Mine is stamped R4. I'm taking it that this is revision 4, and the other ones noted were revision 1 and 2...But wanted to verify. Thanks for you time and info, Jeff

Chad Rhodes 03-12-2012 11:59 AM

Pat, wondering if you could give me a hand with an ignition noise related issue?