CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=61956)

Shadylane 04-21-2016 11:10 AM

Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

7 Attachment(s)
Well here goes. I’m building ANOTHER U/T Stocker. 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura, 302 2 bbl with a stick. I know the learning curve with a stick will be tough but I want to give it a try before going with a C-4.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to post on Class Racer as my build is going slow and my skills are not that great, but I’ve already received some encouragement from members so off we go.
I found the car last year on Craigslist in Phoenix. My wife and I took our grandkids to Disneyland last year and of course we had to stop on the way to Calif and see my sister in Phoenix… Oh and look at a car too. My wife is used to it.
Had a full mild steel cage already installed as well as sub frame connectors an 8.8 rear end and adjustable caster camber plates all for $800.00.
The body is decent, only some surface rust on areas where the metal was left unpainted and it sat in the rain, yes it does rain in Phoenix just not often. Car has some dents and a lot of dings, it appears that it was used by a college as it has a Moorpark College parking sticker in the back window from 1980 and ‘Official Use Only’ decals in the quarter windows, which I’m going to leave on because I think they are cool. Car came with a Zephyr grille and a nice Fairmont grille in trunk.
I saw the potential in the car as a stocker project right away. I really shouldn’t be building a car at my age, just a year into retirement and I haven’t raced in over 35 years, but what the heck I have to stay active and keep the economy stimulated.
After making a deal with the car owner, who is a local drag racer, a friend and I took a road trip to pick it up (450 miles one way).While in Phoenix I also found a pretty complete std bore 302 roller engine also on Craigslist, so we bought that and I found the correct intake manifold from another guy on Craigslist and grabbed it also. Very productive trip by a couple of old guys, we always have fun!
I had to store the car at a friend’s place while I built a shop to work in, which took 6 months, so I’m way behind Robbie Racer and Pinballer with their U/SA cars. I’m building the car by myself with the exception of the engine which is being built by a friend in Albuquerque and paint which I know nothing about.
I decided to unofficially name the project ‘Craigslist Racer’, I seem to find a lot of parts on there.

RobbieRacer 04-21-2016 04:20 PM

Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Cool build, I look forward to watching it come together.
I went to high school in Albuquerque. Class of 76. Forever ago.

Dave Muller 04-21-2016 06:03 PM

I agree, very nice, interesting project.

And there are some others of us here who lack professional-level skills, so that's no reason to be shy about starting a build thread.

Mark Yacavone 04-21-2016 08:00 PM

Kelly,
Are you guys doing the cylinder heads too?

Sean Marconette 04-21-2016 08:53 PM

Kelly good to see you showing your build!

Sean

Shadylane 04-21-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 501411)
Kelly,
Are you guys doing the cylinder heads too?

Hey Mark

Yes we are, nothing special to start with while I get my feet wet.

Mark Yacavone 04-21-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 501418)
Hey Mark

Yes we are, nothing special to start with while I get my feet wet.

Okay ,good
Just make sure you take advantage of the current rules.
Let me know if you need anything.

Pinballer 04-21-2016 09:47 PM

Hey hey, good to see another Stocker coming to life. I'll be cheering you on from afar. I just hope that the sanctioning body doesn't price us out of existence before we get done.
Don't forget I'm close to running U, and have a third pedal still hanging in my car...and a spare AMX sitting next to the garage with a complete 4 speed set-up in it. :)

ALMACK 04-21-2016 10:11 PM

Cool build.
I wanted to do a 302 '78 Fairmont 3 years ago but got sidetracked on other projects.

I'll be watching your progress.

cicero819 04-21-2016 11:04 PM

Good Lots Mustang parts fit your build, Good luck and keep us posted.Lucky for you to have a great champion like Mark in your corner, with his knowledge you have it a strong chance to get to the starting line.CR