CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   In-Car Cameras OK or NOT? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69316)

Wade Mahaffey 03-19-2018 06:12 PM

In-Car Cameras OK or NOT?

I am looking for NHRA's position on in-car camera usage. Now I'm speaking of video/movie type footage, and I guess exterior mounted video footage as well. Can it be used during Sportsman Qualifying, and Eliminations? Can it be pointed in the opponents lane during Eliminations?

Wade Mahaffey

Jason Fuller 03-19-2018 06:23 PM

Re: In-Car Cameras OK or NOT?

Wade,

I believe you might be able to do it as long as there Is "no fun" involved and never put on the internet. Those two things as well as many other infrigment rules are somewhere in NHRA'S rules book for all sportsman racers.

Jason Fuller
;-)

Keith 944 03-19-2018 06:56 PM

I certainly hope someone from Nhra speaks up on this and gives you an answer I know what I’ve been told and I am going to hold my tongue until I see something written here

Travis Miller 03-19-2018 07:11 PM

2018 NHRA rulebook,
General Regulations,
Section 21, page 41,
9:15 Cameras

Wade Mahaffey 03-19-2018 08:46 PM

Thanks Mr. Miller

curtis reed 03-20-2018 08:26 AM

Can anyone explain the why of this for me?

May not be intentionally directed at the racer
in the other lane without NHRA permission.

Curtis

kansas stocker 03-20-2018 09:51 AM

I'm guessing it's for the major media in something like pro stock.

novassdude 03-20-2018 10:10 AM

Is it possibly to help with controlling electronic cheating. I would think it would not be that hard to have it set up with a sensor to help with judging the finish line.

curtis reed 03-20-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novassdude (Post 558660)
Is it possibly to help with controlling electronic cheating. I would think it would not be that hard to have it set up with a sensor to help with judging the finish line.

Thanks for the thought but if so that could be done without the camera. I spotted a guy 4.05 sec at my last race and had 44 mph on him at the stripe. A sensor like that wouldn't have helped at all LOL.

I often have my camera in my car bracket racing and we had a discussion about this recently but nobody had an answer as to why it is illegal, only guesses.

Curtis

Jim Wahl 03-20-2018 01:06 PM

I've had a GoPro in my Stocker for 3 years and no one has ever said anything about it. Gone through tech with it right there on my cross bar. It is aimed right out the front of the car with vision of me, the dash, and the tree. No problems ever. Jim