CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Horsepower Reduction? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74328)

Jeff Stout 09-29-2019 11:01 AM

Horsepower Reduction?

If a motor fits into multiple body styles and 1 body style asks for HP reduction will all body styles receive reduction if they are less then .5 under index?
My 307 Olds fits in Cutlass sedan and station wagon. Will asking for reduction in 1 car effect both cars if granted.

Bob Mulry 09-29-2019 01:14 PM

Re: Horsepower Reduction?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Stout (Post 598743)
If a motor fits into multiple body styles and 1 body style asks for HP reduction will all body styles receive reduction if they are less then .5 under index?
My 307 Olds fits in Cutlass sedan and station wagon. Will asking for reduction in 1 car effect both cars if granted.

I'm thinking no...but with that said, NHRA is still a mystery to me..

1969 Chevrolet 441 head 255HP is rated by NHRA at 280, 275 or 263HP depending on body style ...

I still don't understand the NHRA logic on that one?????

The 69 Impala Sport hardtop is rated at 275HP while the wagon is rated at 263HP. They both have the same frontal area (drag) so the only difference is weight.

The 69 Chevelle also has the sedan and station wagon at different horsepower..

The different ratings for a Camaro vs an Impala or a Chevelle make sense because of the difference in drag.

I'm confused

Jeff Stout 09-29-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mulry (Post 598750)

1969 Chevrolet 441 head 255HP is rated by NHRA at 280, 275 or 263HP depending on body style ...

The 69 Impala Sport hardtop is rated at 275HP while the wagon is rated at 263HP. They both have the same frontal area (drag) so the only difference is weight.

The different ratings for a Camaro vs an Impala or a Chevelle make sense because of the difference in drag.

I'm confused

Thanks I think. In my case the sedan and wagon are at the same HP now. Im thinking of asking for reduction to get my wagon in U at 4300 down some weight to keep up with 302 Fords. The Olds is now 207 up 69 HP over factory.

Bob Mulry 09-29-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Stout (Post 598760)
Thanks I think. In my case the sedan and wagon are at the same HP now. Im thinking of asking for reduction to get my wagon in U at 4300 down some weight to keep up with 302 Fords. The Olds is now 207 up 69 HP over factory.

Hi,

Just one more question....

Why do you believe that that wagon should have a lower horsepower rating than the sedan???

The class is sorted out by weight to horsepower.

Just sayin'

Jeff Stout 09-29-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mulry (Post 598761)
Hi,

Just one more question....

Why do you believe that that wagon should have a lower horsepower rating than the sedan???

The class is sorted out by weight to horsepower.

Just sayin'

It's actually the opposite. The owner of the sedan is thinking about asking. I became curious about getting HP off my same motor in a different car. Then I started thinking do I need to write in or we'll it take fix itself with 1 letter. I don't have much to stand on add the divisional is my first race in years and I have allot of tuning to do.

Bob Mulry 09-30-2019 12:14 AM

OK.....Thanks

Billy Nees 09-30-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mulry (Post 598750)

I'm confused

Bob, one of the determining factors is wheelbase. Impala wagon has longer wheelbase than Impala hardtop.
69 Chevelle 2door has shorter wheelbase than 4 door sedan and wagon.
69 Camaro has shorter wheelbase than Nova.
Ya can't make this stuff up!

Rick Schilling 09-30-2019 08:56 AM

Does a wagon have more aero drag because of the long roof and side windows? It seems like it would.

Mike Pearson 09-30-2019 01:06 PM

Just fil out the form and send it in. Its easy. Doesn't hurt to ask especially if nobody has gone fast with the combo in a few years.

Bob Bender 09-30-2019 02:11 PM

Jeff, call me 443-309-0365