CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Showhauler Tire Pressure (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=33128)

Dick Butler 05-01-2011 11:07 AM

Showhauler Tire Pressure

Curious how high people run the tires on their Motor Home. My tires all say MAX wt ability at 120 lb. I have been running them lower thinking it was okay with not towing. What are people using in these Bigger vehicles?

7423 05-01-2011 11:14 AM

Re: Showhauler Tire Pressure

Run them at the max pressure printed on the tire. Less heat, better handling. Its a big truck, not a Honda, pump them up.

Goog 05-01-2011 11:15 AM

I run 105 in my M/H tires. I have a fleet of mostly dump trucks, and my tire dealer advises to run the max shown on the tire. That is ussually 120, and they wear like iron. Unfortunately they also ride like iron. That's why I run the motorhome a little lower. - Tom

Rob Petrie E395 05-01-2011 11:31 AM

I run mine at 120 (Haulmark Toter). We have several Semis that we use for the farm as well as I work on some in the shop. The biggest thing you can do to make a big truck tire last is keep them inflated or they get hot and come apart.

Dick Butler 05-01-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it. Bet the mileage will improve also. The ride was my initial thought on running lower pressures but Heat and Blow outs is my major concern. Thanks again

ZenzenRacing 05-01-2011 12:33 PM

On my Showhauler Cent. Class Frt Liner 120 and 5lbs more on torque side. Works good.

Johnymia Racing 05-02-2011 09:01 PM

Wrong Bucko!!
I have been selling commercial truck tires for 31 years. Manage some of the largest fleets in the Chicagoland area.
How much air pressure you run is directly related to how much weight you are asking the tire to carry. First things first. Find out how much weight is on each axle. You can get that done at any truck scale on the highway. Next you need to check the PLY RATING on the tires you own to see if they are designed to carry your weight. This is one of the biggest issues I run accross when people have issues with failier. They are running tires that were never designed to carry the weight they are subjected to in the first place. Run them a few pounds underinflated and they overheat and go boom! Assuming you have the correct ply rating for the weight you are putting on the axles, the next step is to get ahold of the load inflation table for the brand of tires you have. This will tell you how much air NEEDS to be in the tires to carry your weight. Over inflation is just as bad as underinflation. Yes they will ride better but you also subject your tires to impact breaks and loss of traction on the steers along with potential irregular wear issues. Any tire man who is worth his salt will tell you the same thing. If I can help you with any more info let me know. Also, keep a close eye out for bead cracking or weather checking that is common on M/H tires. They dry rot before they wear out in low mileage units. BE SAFE !!!

cad 05-02-2011 11:40 PM

Goodyear's RV webpage has some useful information about weight distribution vs tire psi.
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/
Tire inflation table: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

Jeff Teuton 05-03-2011 10:38 PM

Our major tire supplier suggest about 10 less than max which is what we do on our fleet of 1500 or so. Mediums and heavies, no light duty. The theory is allow a little more flex on the sidewall on some of the beautiful roads. Low pressure, say 70 in a 120 max tire, is more a problem than too much pressure. The only two motor home conversions are ours. Another note is commercial tires only have a useful life of 3 to 4 years. Most cappers won't cap anything over 3 years old. Not good news for RV's. I changed 10 in 2009 that were 5 years old that looked brand new. Hope this helps.

Johnymia Racing 05-04-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton (Post 256574)
Our major tire supplier suggest about 10 less than max which is what we do on our fleet of 1500 or so. Mediums and heavies, no light duty. The theory is allow a little more flex on the sidewall on some of the beautiful roads. Low pressure, say 70 in a 120 max tire, is more a problem than too much pressure. The only two motor home conversions are ours. Another note is commercial tires only have a useful life of 3 to 4 years. Most cappers won't cap anything over 3 years old. Not good news for RV's. I changed 10 in 2009 that were 5 years old that looked brand new. Hope this helps.

Jeff:
Just curious, what kind of fleet are these 1500 trucks? Linehaul, Waste, Intermodal, local P&D?