CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   W Stock.. (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72041)

impstocker 01-22-2019 12:51 PM

W Stock..

OK, I have been sitting on a pile of Iron Duke 151 2.5 parts. New and used, but clean. Have both Chevy and BOP pattern blocks. TBI intakes, heads, cut crank, rods, some new pistons, ect.

I was doing some research on T5 Transmissions, looking for one to install in a 3rd Gen Camaro street project.I couldn't help to notice the low 1st gears available, up to 4.03

So, now some questions

1. Would I be able to replace and use the T5 over a 4 speed that came in earlier GM cars like a Sunbird, Monza ect.?
2. Would a T5 be able to withstand the abuse, I figure low HP and sort of low weight between 2900-3000 lb.

My other choices would be 85 or 86 Camaro, Firebird which came with L4 or S10

Throttle body over 2 barrel. ?

Just for some winter conversation. Taylor made Billy Nees questions?

Will Lamprecht
65 Impala I/SA

Billy Nees 01-22-2019 01:41 PM

Re: W Stock..

[QUOTE=impstocker;580762]

So, now some questions

1. Would I be able to replace and use the T5 over a 4 speed that came in earlier GM cars like a Sunbird, Monza ect.?
2. Would a T5 be able to withstand the abuse, I figure low HP and sort of low weight between 2900-3000 lb.

My other choices would be 85 or 86 Camaro, Firebird which came with L4 or S10

Throttle body over 2 barrel. ?

1. I don't think that you can put a 5 speed in a 4 speed combo. Better ask Yak.
2. See above.

85-86 Camaro/Firebird would have been 5 speed combos as would S-10.

I'm old, I'd go for the 2V but where are you going to find a body? Mid 80s Camaros/Firebirds and S-10s are still around and not THAT expensive. With todays rules, I like the 1962-64 Chevy II but find one!

Something to remember when you're looking at W/S, a 5 HP difference in an A/S combo is 40 lbs. and maybe 3-4 hundredths tops. A 5 HP difference in a W/S combo is 120 lbs. and probably 2-2.5 TENTHS!!!!

Mark Yacavone 01-22-2019 01:45 PM

HP is too high @ 120..
Camaro , Fbirds are all EFI

Suggestion : Find the guy who put all the 302 2v's back to net hp. Tell him to do the same with the 151. That combo has a 30 hp factor on it, and nobody ever ran one.

There are still 302 2V V-8s in the 130's.

Mark Yacavone 01-22-2019 08:27 PM

Yes, you can use a T5 with the heavy o/d gear removed. I would not suggest doing it though. I had to use a T5 , converted to a 4-speed, in my 80 Mustang turbo car. I needed the 3.94 first gear. It came with a T4 , 4.05 first, but no good shifters available.
Be that as it may, I wouldn't use one if I were you .You still have to deal with that funky top shifter.

So, here's your dime rocket W/ Stock stick shift tip:
Use a 2.84 or 3.11 Saginaw . Slick shift 2,3, and 4, and put a real shifter on it.
It does have an iron case, but the gears are smaller, so it can't weigh much more than a Muncie. I don't see any problem in a 2500# 4 cylinder car.

The operative word here is CHEAP. The "hot rodders" hate them, I guess because they came in Vegas. But they hate 305's too, so what do they actually know? ;-)

Mark Yacavone 01-22-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 580766)
With todays rules, I like the 1962-64 Chevy II but find one!

Thanks a lot , buddy. You're driving me crazy with this one.
One tri -Y header? Yeah?

Anybody have a 62-64 post car they want to let me borrow for a few seasons? ;-)

Bench Racer 01-22-2019 10:23 PM

There is some W/SA stuff on Racing Junk. It is ( I think ) a 85 S-15 2.5 and a bunch of parts for cheap. It is located nearby in ( I think ) Gaston county, NC. Ya gotta love a lower class Stocker. Don Jackson

james schaechter 01-23-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 580786)
Yes, you can use a T5 with the heavy o/d gear removed. I would not suggest doing it though. I had to use a T5 , converted to a 4-speed, in my 80 Mustang turbo car. I needed the 3.94 first gear. It came with a T4 , 4.05 first, but no good shifters available.
Be that as it may, I wouldn't use one if I were you .You still have to deal with that funky top shifter.

Use a 2.84 or 3.11 Saginaw . Slick shift 2,3, and 4, and put a real shifter on it.
It does have an iron case, but the gears are smaller, so it can't weigh much more than a Muncie. I don't see any problem in a 2500# 4 cylinder car.

The operative word here is CHEAP. The "hot rodders" hate them, I guess because they came in Vegas. But they hate 305's too, so what do they actually know? ;-)

I ought a bunch of Jerico stuff many years ago. In the pile of parts were some gears for 3-4 that were machined to about .500 wide! They worked ok, but looked scary. If you found an old narrow gear Jerico and could do some lightening, it might be a good fit for a low PO set up

Tom keedle 01-23-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

the st-10 i'm using in my rambler has a 3.42 1st gear and was only about 500 bucks used. think it came out of a firebird...if this helps anybody

impstocker 01-23-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

First I want to thank everybody for input.

1. Yes, I did think about a Saginaw, most have a low first gear anyway. I was thinking the Saginaw in combination with a McCleod Sof-Lok clutch, probaly a heavy flywheel for sure. Sintered iron disc..now does anybody have any ideas about a "dime rocket" style clutch set-up?

2. Body style and year. Basically any 1980 and older would have to be a Monza. Sunfire body deal with the carb motor. 1982 up TBI motor , Camaro, Firebird or S-10 only choices. Seeing those older Monza are hard to come by, even cheap ones, and not a real fan of race trucks (IMO trucks only for hauling parts and race cars) I would be leaning toward a Camaro. Ends up being basically all the same weight, plus lots of Camar0 cheap under 1K around. Plus lots of aftermarket parts available, since seems like half the cars in Div 1 Stock are these Camaros. I would build it with the idea of maybe putting a V8 in down the road.

3. Engine, doing some research I found the 1982 Camaro 2.5 rated at 120, but the 85 Camaro rated at 115 , PLUS has more compression, with smaller dish in piston plus smaller chambers..hmmmm

So..the conversation continues.

Will

Billy Nees 01-25-2019 09:15 AM

Will, ya know, you would probably see more action on this thread if you would ask Kenny to move it to either Stock and SS or Stock and SS tech section.!.
I mean technically it's not a "build" yet.