CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=61956)

Shadylane 04-21-2016 11:10 AM

Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

7 Attachment(s)
Well here goes. I’m building ANOTHER U/T Stocker. 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura, 302 2 bbl with a stick. I know the learning curve with a stick will be tough but I want to give it a try before going with a C-4.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to post on Class Racer as my build is going slow and my skills are not that great, but I’ve already received some encouragement from members so off we go.
I found the car last year on Craigslist in Phoenix. My wife and I took our grandkids to Disneyland last year and of course we had to stop on the way to Calif and see my sister in Phoenix… Oh and look at a car too. My wife is used to it.
Had a full mild steel cage already installed as well as sub frame connectors an 8.8 rear end and adjustable caster camber plates all for $800.00.
The body is decent, only some surface rust on areas where the metal was left unpainted and it sat in the rain, yes it does rain in Phoenix just not often. Car has some dents and a lot of dings, it appears that it was used by a college as it has a Moorpark College parking sticker in the back window from 1980 and ‘Official Use Only’ decals in the quarter windows, which I’m going to leave on because I think they are cool. Car came with a Zephyr grille and a nice Fairmont grille in trunk.
I saw the potential in the car as a stocker project right away. I really shouldn’t be building a car at my age, just a year into retirement and I haven’t raced in over 35 years, but what the heck I have to stay active and keep the economy stimulated.
After making a deal with the car owner, who is a local drag racer, a friend and I took a road trip to pick it up (450 miles one way).While in Phoenix I also found a pretty complete std bore 302 roller engine also on Craigslist, so we bought that and I found the correct intake manifold from another guy on Craigslist and grabbed it also. Very productive trip by a couple of old guys, we always have fun!
I had to store the car at a friend’s place while I built a shop to work in, which took 6 months, so I’m way behind Robbie Racer and Pinballer with their U/SA cars. I’m building the car by myself with the exception of the engine which is being built by a friend in Albuquerque and paint which I know nothing about.
I decided to unofficially name the project ‘Craigslist Racer’, I seem to find a lot of parts on there.

RobbieRacer 04-21-2016 04:20 PM

Re: Fairmont U/S Build AKA Craigslist Racer

Cool build, I look forward to watching it come together.
I went to high school in Albuquerque. Class of 76. Forever ago.

Dave Muller 04-21-2016 06:03 PM

I agree, very nice, interesting project.

And there are some others of us here who lack professional-level skills, so that's no reason to be shy about starting a build thread.

Mark Yacavone 04-21-2016 08:00 PM

Kelly,
Are you guys doing the cylinder heads too?

Sean Marconette 04-21-2016 08:53 PM

Kelly good to see you showing your build!

Sean

Shadylane 04-21-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 501411)
Kelly,
Are you guys doing the cylinder heads too?

Hey Mark

Yes we are, nothing special to start with while I get my feet wet.

Mark Yacavone 04-21-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 501418)
Hey Mark

Yes we are, nothing special to start with while I get my feet wet.

Okay ,good
Just make sure you take advantage of the current rules.
Let me know if you need anything.

Pinballer 04-21-2016 09:47 PM

Hey hey, good to see another Stocker coming to life. I'll be cheering you on from afar. I just hope that the sanctioning body doesn't price us out of existence before we get done.
Don't forget I'm close to running U, and have a third pedal still hanging in my car...and a spare AMX sitting next to the garage with a complete 4 speed set-up in it. :)

ALMACK 04-21-2016 10:11 PM

Cool build.
I wanted to do a 302 '78 Fairmont 3 years ago but got sidetracked on other projects.

I'll be watching your progress.

cicero819 04-21-2016 11:04 PM

Good Lots Mustang parts fit your build, Good luck and keep us posted.Lucky for you to have a great champion like Mark in your corner, with his knowledge you have it a strong chance to get to the starting line.CR

Rory McNeil 04-22-2016 10:38 AM

I looked into this very combination over 15 years ago, however, at that time, the 302 2 barrel was factored by NHRA at 200 HP, so I elected to go with a 85 Mustang 5.0, as at the time it was only rated 5 HP higher, and had a larger H/R cam, and a 4 barrel carb. Later the 302 2V dropped from 200HP to 180, then 170, and under 150, so the car I was thinking of dropped from M/S down the T&U. Not positive, but I seem to recall the only year of Fairmont/Zephyr that had a 302 engine and 4 speed was a 79, but not a big deal, as the 78 & 79 are virtually identical. I have owned my 78 Fairmont 2 door sedan bracket car for 30 years, and have had a few street strip Fairmonts, and as mentioned, almost everything from a 70-93 Mustang interchanges to the Fairmont, other than wheelbase related items, as the Fairmont has a wheelbase thats 5" longer. The Fairmont rear wheelwells are much lower than a FOX Mustang, so fitting a 30" tire would be a chore, but realistically, a 8 1/2x 26-15 slick should be adequate, and they fit with no reworking anything. Also Hedman offers 1 1/2" long tube headers that fit well and don`t cost much. Should be a good project, have fun.

Dwight Southerland 04-22-2016 11:03 AM

Technically, Rory is correct that the 302 4-speed was not offered in 1978 in a Fairmont-Zephyr. It was available in 1979 and the engine specs are identical. I'm not sure that NHRA would know that the 78 4-speed was not a production car (nor would they care). The 4-speed transmission was an SROD with OD in 4th gear. Same transmission as used in many late 70s-early 80s FoMoCo products.

Shadylane 04-22-2016 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland (Post 501467)
Technically, Rory is correct that the 302 4-speed was not offered in 1978 in a Fairmont-Zephyr. It was available in 1979 and the engine specs are identical. I'm not sure that NHRA would know that the 78 4-speed was not a production car (nor would they care). The 4-speed transmission was an SROD with OD in 4th gear. Same transmission as used in many late 70s-early 80s FoMoCo products.

Thanks for the input on the Fairmont. One of the decisions I needed to make was what year to run the car, 78 or 79.

I'm not an expert on anything but I have looked a lot of Fairmont stuff in the last couple of years. You guys probably forgot more than I'll ever know.

I'm not positive if they made a 4 speed 302 in 78 so in my opinion it may fall into a gray area.

My car is a 79 that was built with the 2.3 4cyl engine and an SROD. I did get confirmation from NHRA that I could run a Jerico, or other non-overdrive 4 speed in this car for stock eliminator.

I know you guys are trying to keep me from making a mistake with the build. I can always run as a 79, but I will take a HP hit. I may have to petition NHRA to bring the 79 hp down to the 78 level. Same engine specs anyway.

There are very minor differences in the cars. I have collected enough parts to run it as a 78 or 79 Fairmont or Zephyr.

This is a scan out of an original 1978 Fairmont brochure. I'll use this as my documentation with NHRA if questioned.

Thanks for your help...more build to follow.

Kelly

Shadylane 04-22-2016 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve been working on the car for 3 months now. Lots of small things accomplished and I have acquired a bunch of parts.

Thanks to Sean Marconette who sold me his old, slightly used, Advanced Clutch flywheel. Called Rob Youngblood and he set up a clutch assembly to go with it. Plus Sean has provided a lot of advice on suspension and other stuff.

My friend who has a Nova stocker sold me his old, slightly used, spare Jerico DR4 transmission. Sent it off to Jerico for an inspection and input shaft replacement. Turns out it had a severely pitted 1st gear and had to be replaced. Bit the bullet and bought a Long ratchet shifter, ouch! Already had a Quicktime bellhousing.

Bought a TCI starter from Kevin Zaskowski on Class Racer.

Another friend sold me a new Painless switch panel that he didn’t need.
I have more parts and pieces than I have room for in my shop.

Ordered a rebuilt manual rack from Rock Auto to replace the power rack (same as a Fox Mustang). I received it in December and left it in the box until I needed it. Opened the box in March and of course it’s the wrong one. Turns out they are not available from them any longer.They allowed me to return it. Ordered and new one from Summit that fits and it was only $15 more than a rebuilt.

Decided to stay with the 4 lug hubs and brakes up front. Disassembled the front brakes and ordered new pads, calipers and brake hoses from Rock Auto. The parts didn’t fit, turns out the spindles had been replaced with Turbo Coupe spindles. I had to return and order new parts 3 times before getting the correct ones.

I’m pretty sure Rock Auto has my name in a file that says I don’t know what I’m doing…they may be right.

Last year I determined that if I was going to build a race car I better learn how to weld PROPERLY. A friend and I decided to take a MIG/TIG welding class at our local community college. We don’t take the class for credit so it only costs $135 per semester. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Not only is the instruction first class but the machines are newer Millers and they have over 50 of them. My Mig skills have improved 10 fold. Tig welding still leaves a lot to be desired but I’m getting better. We are allowed to bring in projects so I’ve built my seat to floor brackets and an aluminum weight box. This is my second semester going for a third in the fall.

Charlie A 04-22-2016 04:36 PM

Cool:

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...5&d=1461346392

Sean Marconette 04-22-2016 04:40 PM

Thanks Kelly! Without the help and direction from Mark Walton, and others I would not have the car I have. So if I can help in any way just ask.

As for the OEM manual trans unless I am mistaken an SROD was a 3 speed with OD, so technically a 4 speed is legal in this car. My 83 came with a 4 speed with OD so I legally run a 5 speed. OD is considered another forward gear. Where the issue for another person I have tried to help, is his car only came with a 3 speed manual and he has petitioned NHRA to allow a 4 speed just like the auto 2 speed cars are now allowed a 3 speed. Fair is fair!

Per the 2016 rule book on manual transmissions

TRANSMISSION, Manual
OEM or NHRA-accepted aftermarket transmissions having same
number of forward speeds (O.D. gear not required) as original, and
reverse, may be used.

As for the clutch, you are going to be happy.

Sean

Shadylane 04-22-2016 05:04 PM

Trying to get the Trick Flow 185 CNC heads approved for stock with a 2 HP increase. :)

In reality they probably would loose HP with no cam, carb or manifold to support them. Just using them for mock up.

Bill Diehl 04-22-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 501493)
I’ve been working on the car for 3 months now. Lots of small things accomplished and I have acquired a bunch of parts.

Thanks to Sean Marconette who sold me his old, slightly used, Advanced Clutch flywheel. Called Rob Youngblood and he set up a clutch assembly to go with it. Plus Sean has provided a lot of advice on suspension and other stuff.

My friend who has a Nova stocker sold me his old, slightly used, spare Jerico DR4 transmission. Sent it off to Jerico for an inspection and input shaft replacement. Turns out it had a severely pitted 1st gear and had to be replaced. Bit the bullet and bought a Long ratchet shifter, ouch! Already had a Quicktime bellhousing.

Bought a TCI starter from Kevin Zaskowski on Class Racer.

Another friend sold me a new Painless switch panel that he didn’t need.
I have more parts and pieces than I have room for in my shop.

Ordered a rebuilt manual rack from Rock Auto to replace the power rack (same as a Fox Mustang). I received it in December and left it in the box until I needed it. Opened the box in March and of course it’s the wrong one. Turns out they are not available from them any longer.They allowed me to return it. Ordered and new one from Summit that fits and it was only $15 more than a rebuilt.

Decided to stay with the 4 lug hubs and brakes up front. Disassembled the front brakes and ordered new pads, calipers and brake hoses from Rock Auto. The parts didn’t fit, turns out the spindles had been replaced with Turbo Coupe spindles. I had to return and order new parts 3 times before getting the correct ones.

I’m pretty sure Rock Auto has my name in a file that says I don’t know what I’m doing…they may be right.

Last year I determined that if I was going to build a race car I better learn how to weld PROPERLY. A friend and I decided to take a MIG/TIG welding class at our local community college. We don’t take the class for credit so it only costs $135 per semester. It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Not only is the instruction first class but the machines are newer Millers and they have over 50 of them. My Mig skills have improved 10 fold. Tig welding still leaves a lot to be desired but I’m getting better. We are allowed to bring in projects so I’ve built my seat to floor brackets and an aluminum weight box. This is my second semester going for a third in the fall.

Glad to see you opted for the welding class....guys that work on and/or build there own stuff no matter what it is earn my respect

Nice project

JHeath 04-22-2016 07:00 PM

Looks great, like that combo, should be lots of fun !!!!

Shadylane 04-29-2016 02:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
When I bought the Fairmont it had an 8 point mild steel roll cage already installed. I decided since I'm running in a slow class I would remove the halo and the 'A' pillar bars. I needed to save some weight but I still wanted protection from a faster car side collision and roll over. If anyone could see how tinny these cars are it would scare you! No need for a certified roll bar at this point.

Getting in and out of the driver’s seat was a real pain in the butt, literally, so I added a swing out door bar. I'm 65 years old and the joints don't bend like they used to.

Once I installed the swing out bar I mocked up the JAZ plastic seats. For some reason only know to me I thought that using a high back seat would limit the visibility out the right side of the car so I opted to the low back seats. Because of the low back seat I had to add a head rest to the roll bar, and since I was already in the welding mood I attached a seat brace and a shoulder harness tab.

I used good old 1X4 wood planks for the seat mock up to set the height and angle. I built the seat to floor brackets out of 1/4 aluminum sheet which I sheared to my liking and TIGed it all together. I made the passenger floor bracket a little lighter as it should be unoccupied most of the time. After reading lot's of comments about these seats on Class Racer I bolted them all the way through the seat but I left the internal nut and used it for a little extra strength.

Front fenders, hood and trunk lid are off to the body man for straightening and paint.

The Hawk 04-29-2016 08:03 PM

Very cool project! My late brother had a 2 door Fairmont, was one of my favorite body styles of the time. Good luck with this!

Billy Nees 04-30-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 502105)
I decided since I'm running in a slow class I would remove the halo and the 'A' pillar bars.

Once I installed the swing out bar I mocked up the JAZ plastic seats.

I wouldn't do that until you speak to a Tech man! I think that you'll find that if you have a bar in the car, it must be legal. A cage has a 1 5/8 main hoop, a bar must have 1 3/4. And you must have a legal bar to use your Jaz seats.

Shadylane 04-30-2016 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 502161)
I wouldn't do that until you speak to a Tech man! I think that you'll find that if you have a bar in the car, it must be legal. A cage has a 1 5/8 main hoop, a bar must have 1 3/4. And you must have a legal bar to use your Jaz seats.

I spoke with a Division 5 Tech man and I was told a Non-Certified roll bar was ok, didn't ask about the seats to be honest with you.

I removed parts of the cage/roll bar that don't affect the integrity of the rest of the roll bar, in my estimation. The cage/roll bar is 1 3/4. Hey I'm no expert on any of this but I tried to do my homework before removing it. I appreciate the feedback and will check further with the Tech people.

I'm hoping that it's not one of those deals where you ask 4 people and get 4 different answers.

Worst comes to worst I'll get it certified, if it won't certify I'll remove it and install some less safe OEM seats and the 30 pound back seat.

Thanks, Kelly

Billy Nees 04-30-2016 10:16 AM

The bar doesn't need to be certified but it would still have to be legal. If the main hoop is 1 3/4 then you should be OK.

Shadylane 05-05-2016 10:33 AM

Re: Fairmont U/S Build

6 Attachment(s)
Ordered a Moser spool and axle kit for the 8.8. Got a 31 spline which they said should be plenty strong enough for my build. I had previously sent my axle housing to a local rock crawling shop to have the tubes and brackets welded in a straitening jig. With the housing back in the car I cut the ends of the tubes so it would accommodate the C-Clip eliminator. Installed the axles and spool without a R&P until we get the engine dyno’ed. Need to make a decision on tire size and gear ratio down the road. The down side of 8.8 axles is the lack of R&P choices. Based on talking with a few folks I’ll probably be in the area of a 29.5 tire and a 4:88 gear but that is just a guess as that may be a little too much tire. Transmission has a 3:19 low gear.

Bought a pair of used Hotchkiss adjustable upper control arms, the lowers were already on the car when I bought it. Another bonus.

The axle housing didn't have any brakes when I got the car so I went shopping on CL and found some 11 inch Rangers drum brakes which are more than adequate. Added new shoes and hardware. Been along time since I built drum brakes, had to dig out my old tools. When I win the lottery I'll buy some light weight brake components front and rear.

Received the trans back from Jerico last week. They changed the input shaft and bearing retainer to fit my FFFord. The Long ratchet shifter is a thing of beauty. Everytime I get a new part it motivates me even more to get moving on it.

Mounted the fuel cell along with an electric fuel pump. My welding on the fuel cell tabs is kind of crappy, I'll cover with paint.

Bought a used Mallory 140 from a friend. Kind of overkill for this application but it was cheap. I'll kit it and try it. I also have a used Red and Blue Holley pump as back ups.

Jim Caughlin 05-05-2016 11:38 AM

What Billy is saying is correct, regardless of whether the rules require a roll bar or not, if it is in the car, it has to be legal. Kind of a funny rule but that's the way it is.

Shadylane 05-05-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin (Post 502644)
What Billy is saying is correct, regardless of whether the rules require a roll bar or not, if it is in the car, it has to be legal. Kind of a funny rule but that's the way it is.

It is 1 3/4 mild steel. Should be legal...as per Billy anyway. The closest NHRA inspector is 7 hours away.

Thanks, Kelly

BLIND MULE 05-05-2016 06:15 PM

Cool build got a Box top Fairmont myself with a 6 lunger. A 29.5 tire is gonna take alot of trimming to fit those fenders are not real big! Good luck keep us posted!

Shadylane 05-05-2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLIND MULE (Post 502679)
Cool build got a Box top Fairmont myself with a 6 lunger. A 29.5 tire is gonna take alot of trimming to fit those fenders are not real big! Good luck keep us posted!

When I was looking for Fairmonts, I thought I wanted a box top car. The more I looked into these cars the more I started liking the looks of the Futura's. Both cars can be made light, I like the idea of the fast back and the Futura is actually an inch shorter in height, plus the windshield is laid back a little more than a box top. Probably not important for a 95mph car.

I have my body man looking at the wheelwell situation. I have a pair of 29.5 M/T's that I can fit under the car with a 1/2 clearance which I know is not enough. I think in the end I can make them work with the proper wheel offset, maybe.

Tony Corley 05-06-2016 07:15 AM

Cool build. Reading this, I have a question. Why would you want to run such a large tire on a low hp application? I am just comparing to the cars I have ran, (not stock eliminator). I have had consistent 1.29 - 1.30 60 ft times in the past on a 10.5 x 26 tire, with 600 hp and a 5 speed. I realize the 10" tire is not legal for stock, but just seems something under 9" and around 26" diameter would be more than sufficient, and free up some ET by not having to carry the extra tire down the track. I'm sure there is a reason most of the Stock Eliminator guys like the big tire, so that's why I'm asking.

Shadylane 05-06-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Corley (Post 502740)
Cool build. Reading this, I have a question. Why would you want to run such a large tire on a low hp application? I am just comparing to the cars I have ran, (not stock eliminator). I have had consistent 1.29 - 1.30 60 ft times in the past on a 10.5 x 26 tire, with 600 hp and a 5 speed. I realize the 10" tire is not legal for stock, but just seems something under 9" and around 26" diameter would be more than sufficient, and free up some ET by not having to carry the extra tire down the track. I'm sure there is a reason most of the Stock Eliminator guys like the big tire, so that's why I'm asking.

To be honest not everyone in lower stock classes runs such a big tire. I talked with a guy that races in U/SA that uses a 26X8.5 and does just fine.

Another racer in the same class (same kind of car) uses a 30X9 and is really fast.

Here is my reasoning, right or wrong. The low gear in the transmission is 3:19. Even with soft lock clutches I may need the tire. There is a bigger selection of 9 inch tires especially in 29.5.

I could be all wrong on this and may end up using a smaller tire. Your right, common sense would tell you a smaller tire has less un-sprung weight and rotating weight.

Tony Corley 05-06-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 502761)
To be honest not everyone in lower stock classes runs such a big tire. I talked with a guy that races in U/SA that uses a 26X8.5 and does just fine.

Another racer in the same class (same kind of car) uses a 30X9 and is really fast.

Here is my reasoning, right or wrong. The low gear in the transmission is 3:19. Even with soft lock clutches I may need the tire. There is a bigger selection of 9 inch tires especially in 29.5.

I could be all wrong on this and may end up using a smaller tire. Your right, common sense would tell you a smaller tire has less un-sprung weight and rotating weight.

I guess the only way to know for certain is to try them all and see what works best, lol

Paul Wong 05-06-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadylane (Post 502761)

Let me just guarantee you're doing the right thing. If you can avoid it you don't want to hit a 26 tire at 6000 plus. If you need help just get in touch.
I have to get working on my new U/S combo as I have a feeling it's time for my belvedere to move to G/S.

Tony Corley 05-07-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wong (Post 502839)
Let me just guarantee you're doing the right thing. If you can avoid it you don't want to hit a 26 tire at 6000 plus. If you need help just get in touch.
I have to get working on my new U/S combo as I have a feeling it's time for my belvedere to move to G/S.

Why not? Only asking because I've done it repeatedly in the past, with a 9 second, 3100 lb car and a non adjustable clutch, with no issues. So when I read statements like the one you made, I am curious as to why. Not trying to be a smartass, just seriously curious. I could possibly see the need for the larger tire on a leaf spring car with less suspension adjustability, but he's running a Fox body, which probably has the most suspension choices available for any car made in the last 50 years.Not to mention a decade of heads up, small tire, manal transmission testing in several NMRA classes to draw experience from. I think I personally would run the smaller tire, pick up the extra et, and use suspension, shock, and clutch settings to make it work.

Paul Wong 05-07-2016 05:35 AM

I'm not trying to be some stocker mentality type but with less than half the horsepower you need all the help you can to make it consistent. It can work with the short tire and in this scenario with no rear gear selection that may be the case. These engines are not forgiving and using every forgiving part you can make them much more consistent. If it's just laying down big numbers is all you're after, index wise that is, then the short tire may be better. It is a lot of fun to go rounds and beat 8-10 second stockers with these eccentric rides.

Tony Corley 05-07-2016 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Wong (Post 502861)
I'm not trying to be some stocker mentality type but with less than half the horsepower you need all the help you can to make it consistent. It can work with the short tire and in this scenario with no rear gear selection that may be the case. These engines are not forgiving and using every forgiving part you can make them much more consistent. If it's just laying down big numbers is all you're after, index wise that is, then the short tire may be better. It is a lot of fun to go rounds and beat 8-10 second stockers with these eccentric rides.

Ok, I can see that. I guess I look at everything with a heads up mentality, LOL. Thanks for the explanation.

BLIND MULE 05-07-2016 07:17 PM

Here ya go no trimming!

http://www.dragracetires.com/9-0-27-...ce-slicks.html

Shadylane 05-13-2016 02:13 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Got a little more stuff done this week.

Built a battery tray out of 1/8 aluminum in my welding class, put a little lip on it and some tabs to mount it to the body. Weighs a little more than the OE tray but it's much stronger. Turned out pretty good.

I've been scraping undercoating and seam sealer out of the rear fenderwells for a couple days now. Nasty job at best. Using a Bernzomatic to soften it up, then scraping with a putty knife. After I get most of it off I go over it with a stainless steel wire brush on my angle grinder.

I think the issue with the rear tire clearance will be resolved once I get the fenderwell lips folded up and add at least one inch clearance at the front and back of the wheel wells, as per the rule book you can go up to 2 inches.

Finally got the rear brake lines installed. I followed the old rear brake line which routes through the firewall of the passenger side of the car, down along the door sill then across to the driver’s side under the rear seat and exiting to the rear axle. I'm not sure I like the new (new to me anyway) brake lines made out of copper/nickel. It's easy to bend but it looks like it may be easy to dent and therefore pinch off.

cicero819 05-13-2016 09:10 PM

Eastwood makes a great tool to fold the inner rear fender lip, you could make the tool in your welding class.lol Nice project keep it up.CR

FireSale 05-14-2016 11:22 AM

The guy I bought my Mustang off of had covered the floorboards with that stick-on foil sound deadener. I spent several days cooped up in my coupe with a torch and putty scraper, so I feel for you. Smelly, dirty stuff. And the metal under the passenger side was so rusted I had to cut it out and replace it.

Nice welding and fabrication. Glad to see someone tackling all aspects of race car conversion themselves.

I don't know what your paint plans are, but since I was going to strip and paint my car I used a torch and body hammer to roll my fender lips. That Eastwood tool is nice, but I already had the torch and hammer. Worked out OK. And don't believe those YouTube guys who say you can do it with a baseball bat...

Dale