CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What header size (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71030)

nhrasa 09-18-2018 11:51 PM

What header size

I'am turning my 63 Plymouth max wedge bracket car into a class car. I was wondering if TTI 1/78inch mild steel headers would be adequate or do I need to switch to a larger diameter stainless steel header from one of the current header builders. Thanks for the responses in advance.

rod butcher 09-19-2018 06:35 AM

Re: What header size

Call Performance Welding Headers 530-367-4124 Best header guy in the business, the Indy qualifying sheet doesn't lie.

nhramnl 09-19-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhrasa (Post 573170)
I'am turning my 63 Plymouth max wedge bracket car into a class car. I was wondering if TTI 1/78inch mild steel headers would be adequate or do I need to switch to a larger diameter stainless steel header from one of the current header builders. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Try this explanation instead: "I'm turning myself, currently a sane, solvent individual who has a great deal of fun bracket racing, into an insane, insolvent maniac, who will pour seemingly endless amounts of money into a car that will never be quite fast enough for me, and which I will only on very few occasions, actually enjoy". Now we can all relate to what you're asking, because you've identified yourself as one of us. :D

jmcarter 09-19-2018 07:53 AM

xxx double posted

jmcarter 09-19-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod butcher (Post 573172)
Call Performance Welding Headers 530-367-4124 Best header guy in the business, the Indy qualifying sheet doesn't lie.

X2. Mark Lelchook is a absolute master craftsman. Based on his experience he can tell you power curve on different styles and diameters. Guarantee his stuff will fit too.

quickford1 09-19-2018 09:41 AM

Give Robbie McDonald a call @ outlaw headers 704-230-6429 located in Mooresville ,NC Does only stainless makes everything in house flanges,tube bending and the best collector out there.

Race Clean 09-21-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhramnl (Post 573174)
Try this explanation instead: "I'm turning myself, currently a sane, solvent individual who has a great deal of fun bracket racing, into an insane, insolvent maniac, who will pour seemingly endless amounts of money into a car that will never be quite fast enough for me, and which I will only on very few occasions, actually enjoy". Now we can all relate to what you're asking, because you've identified yourself as one of us. :D

I think this may be an answer along the way that you want :
For what you are trying to do it's probably a good way to start with TTI or similar priced Headers and spend the $2500 that you save on other things to make the Car faster and better,..that said....I already have 2 sets from Mark and may buy another set in the future, because I REALLY LIKE this type of ART!!!:D

RonP 09-21-2018 07:39 AM

I would try KromerKaft in Youngstown, OH (330-539-5053). Engine size and expected peak HP rpm are required to determine tube size and length. When it comes to Stock/Super Stock/Comp, the header needs tailored to the specific engine. I used to do most all the computer simulation for Kromer to determine header sizing back in the late 1990's & early 2000's . Mild steel + GOOD ceramic coating (inside & outside) will save you money over stainless.
Thanks, Ron

pfordamx 09-21-2018 11:31 PM

i've heard several people have had good results with REF unlimited in arizona. if you buy a shelf header you might look into a program like pipemax to help determine primary size.

GTX JOHN 09-22-2018 02:39 AM

I have raced a bunch of these cars.

At least 2 inch tubes = Hooker has made Thousands and they
are cheap used. Even their 2 x 32 street header is fine.

2 1/8 inch are marginally faster on a quicker car.

Steps/Merged are certainly a bit better = Cost is three
Thousand VS three or four Hundred bucks

I have several sets of Hookers laying around the shop (Clarification: The Headers
NOT the girls).