CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pilot bearing/bushing lube (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6084)

NovaMan 07-09-2007 04:58 AM

Pilot bearing/bushing lube

This is for my tow vehicle, so I'm more interested in longevity than max performance. Should I lube my pilot bushing? I was wondering about using a little spray graphite.

FED 387 07-09-2007 08:49 AM

Re: Pilot bearing/bushing lube

If its a chevy go down to the dealer and get a rollerized pilot bearing used them in the 6.2 dieselsotherwise Moroso sells the same thing for about 3 times as much... We used a TINY amount of wheelbearing grease like none at all otherwise it will spray all over the clutch.... Hope this helps--- Comp 387

NovaMan 07-09-2007 01:47 PM

I already put in a solid bushing because I'm installing the motor and clutch onto the trans and bellhousing (it's a 4x4 and I didn't want to drop the trans and t-case), so getting the input shaft to slide into a roller pilot bushing didn't sound very easy.

FED 387 07-09-2007 05:11 PM

I agree it is a tight fit--- Try taking 2 guys to do it one sits in the drivers seat and puts slight pressure on the clutch pedal to keep the throwout bearing from dropping off the fork other guy slides the trans into the clutch and maybe adjusting/twisting the input WHILE the trans is in gear(try hi gear its easier to spin the trans) and getting the splines on the input and the clutch disc to line up. Its definately a walk in the park but it will go in its a snug fit... Maybe just a little lube on the end of the input but dont get carried away---- Never tried doing it the way you are doing it cuz everything gets all ****ed around not in a straight line---- Good luck ---Comp 387

NovaMan 07-11-2007 11:07 PM

OK, what about the throwout bearing and clutch fork? The manual says high temp grease and not to be stingy... I figure most of it will be flung off pretty quickly, so why glop it on thick?

FED 387 07-12-2007 08:59 AM

Every GM throwout bearing I have seen has been a sealed tybe no provision for greasing/lubing it once it is installed. I really think what the book means is to put a liberal( like a teaspoon or less) amount on the clutch fork pivot ball to make the fork work back and forth more easily... Just use common sense here on what is a generous amount otherwise you are going to have a grease soaked clutch disc which WILL slip if it gets oil/grease on it. You also can put some grease on your hand and wipe the inside of the throwout bearing and also the input shaft collar sorta like putting on sun tan lotion---Just a little little bit don't go crazy with the grease--- Comp 387

NovaMan 07-12-2007 02:18 PM

Doesn't it need a little grease to lubricate the clutch fork/bearing interface?

FED 387 07-12-2007 05:04 PM

NO !!!!!!!!! because the bearing only touches the clutch fingers when the pedal is pushed in otherwise it is retracted AWAY from those same clutch fingers and sits on the input shaft bearing retainer--- The little bit of time that it is touching is so insignificant that no lubrication is necessary.... Trust me that's really the way that it is!!! Go ask any mechanic at a truck dealership or repair place the same questions... Comp 387