CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   water getting in my oil (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=965)

Tim Ellis 04-19-2007 06:42 PM

water getting in my oil

Tim S. Ellis

peter macritchie 04-19-2007 08:35 PM

Have you tryed to put one of those coolant pressure tester pumps on the neck of the radiator where the cap twists on ?? Pump the plunger a few strokes to build a few pounds and see if it bleeds off by looking at gauge. Take off valve covers while under pressure and look for any water bubbles coming up thu the casting around springs & studs. Also drain oil & leave pan plug out while still under pressure. Block could be cracked at bottom of cylinder with coolant leaking into pan which will come out the open plug hole .Also leave spark plugs out and while under pressure possibly crank engine around and look for collant coming out any spark plug holes which will determine what cylinder may be the problem

RichBiebel 04-19-2007 08:37 PM

You state that you have had 2 different short blocks and the mikshake continues. I would be looking at the top end. Take it apart and look at the gaskets carefully. Head and intake. Water leaves a rust trail and is sometimes not that hard to find. If a head is leaking water it may show you something as well. Water acts like a steam cleaner and will clean the carbon off a chamber or piston. Get the heads pressure tested. Before you take it apart, get a cooling system pressure tester on the radiator with it full of water. Pump it up and see if the pressure drops. Pull the spark plugs before you do the pressure test. If water is pushed into a cylinder you'll find it real easy when you turn it over. You'll know what cylinder your trouble is in if it does shoot water out a plug hole.......

peter macritchie 04-19-2007 10:30 PM

Rich...did you not read my reply...sounds like your agreeing with me or did not read my post first

Tim Ellis 04-19-2007 10:42 PM

Ed Fernandez 04-19-2007 10:54 PM

Peter;
Look at the time of your post and Riches.You were both tapping at about the same time.

Ed F
15 T/SA

MHoward 04-20-2007 12:01 AM

your heads may have been angle milled and you need to mill the intake at the same angle.

FE Rory 04-20-2007 04:13 AM

Tim, like MHoward mentioned, I`d be looking at the fit of the lower intake manifold. Between decking the block, and milling the heads, the fit of the intake can get way out of whack pretty easily.I`d try fitting the intake on the heads without any gaskets, and check to see that things are parallel at the sides of the intake where it meets the heads. You may very well need to cut the manifold to make things fit. Also, you will likely want to run a soft Mr Gasket type intake gasket, rather than the hard, ridged stock style gaskets. Good luck!

RichBiebel 04-20-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Rich...did you not read my reply...sounds like your agreeing with me or did not read my post first

Ed's correct Peter.......I did not mean to ignore your post and we do agree on how to check this engine out. We must have been typing our answers at the same time......Rich

Rory Christianson 04-20-2007 08:54 AM

Hi
When you say 5.0 is it ford ? or is it a 305 chev ?
305 blocks in several years have a history of hairline cracks in the lifter valley area

RC