CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Checking deck height (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6527)

Joe Marcinowski 08-08-2007 06:17 PM

Checking deck height

I am getting conflicting opinions. When checking deck height, would you check it in the center (over the wrist pin) or at the top and the bottom of the cylinder and rock the piston to get a minimum? How does NHRA check it in tear down? I am checking a small block Chevy dish engine.
Thanks,
Joe

JRyan 08-08-2007 08:51 PM

Re: Checking deck height

On our Olds, they've always placed the piston at TDC and then checked at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positons and averaged it. So that's how I do it. That's the only way to account for rockover.

Jerry

greg fulk 08-09-2007 02:43 AM

Joe I've set 5 IHRA records and ever time they have me rock it back and forth to get it on top...they then set the bridge on zero @ the deck then put it on the center of the pistion to check hight.

Bud Lefevre 08-09-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg fulk (Post 37288)
Joe I've set 5 IHRA records and ever time they have me rock it back and forth to get it on top...they then set the bridge on zero @ the deck then put it on the center of the pistion to check hight.

That won't work with a dish piston, although it would give us dish piston guys a big bump in compression the head gasket would be really fat.

JRyan 08-10-2007 12:07 AM

Thanks Bud. Greg. He originally asked about a DISHED piston. I responded as I did because our 307 Olds runs a dished piston that has been checked as I described. Flat top pistons could be checked either way I guess.

Jerry

greg fulk 08-10-2007 02:01 AM

Sorry guys I missed the dish deal.....guess it could be a pain to check a dish! ;)

Bud Lefevre 08-10-2007 03:39 AM

Just messin with you Greg. I know you knew better.
I naven't been torn down, but we checked mine at the 12, 3, 6, 9 and allowed some for a cleanup later. If you set it up now with a thin gasket, after a clean up you can go to a thicker gasket to make up for the cut.

This does bring up another question. Whats more important, duration / lift, or compression ?
Keep in mind, my car is a pure stocker with a legal cam.

Joe Marcinowski 08-11-2007 08:49 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the responses! I get what Greg means. With a dish, we just have to stay on the wrist pin center line but move forward or rearward to catch the high spot on the piston. Jerry's way seems the best and the measurement comes out the same both ways.
Thanks again for the help,
Joe