CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Trailer Tire Balancing (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=57691)

Sean Marconette 04-21-2015 02:50 PM

Trailer Tire Balancing

I am getting ready to replace the tires on my trailer, and after pulling all 6, I found none are balanced not even the spare? Here's the scary part, these are the original tires for the trailer. They are date coded late 2005.

Is this common for factory trailer tires to not be balanced? These are on aluminum wheels. I guess having the trailer inside, out of the weather and sun has made a difference on tire life since I have owned it. I am the 3rd owner and the previous owners did not travel far with it.

The trailer is a 2006 48' LQ Classic Dominator.

Sean

tj310 04-21-2015 07:14 PM

Re: Trailer Tire Balancing

Quality tires shouldn't need balance , if you check them and they'r not out more than 3 oz should be good, on a trailer ---Trevor

Run to Rund 04-21-2015 10:40 PM

Since no one rides in the trailer, and your poor car can't tell you about the rough ride, many companies don't spend the time and money balancing the tires. I always have the tires balanced.

Bob Mulry 04-22-2015 10:39 AM

With no shocks on the trailer wheels to control any imbalance the tires will show excessive wear and beat up everything inside.........

Quality tires or not, have you ever put 4 tires on a spin balancer and not have to add weight?????????????

It seems that balance is the last item needed to complete the job and protect your investment....

Bob

Fireofficer5 04-22-2015 10:53 AM

When I was a tire monkey in 1977, every truck tire and trailer tire was balanced.
There were four and eight ounce weights.

Sean Marconette 04-22-2015 02:17 PM

I thought it was very odd to find this too! After searching the internet on trailer tires it is not an uncommon practice from new manufacturers.

So buyer beware! The time and money for whats riding in the trailer bouncing down the road is too important. Everything being beat to death is not worth it.

Sean

MR DERBY CITY 04-22-2015 05:48 PM

What Bob Mulry said.....M.J.

tj310 04-24-2015 11:34 PM

Sorry I was forgetting not everyone has an electronic balancer at home . I just put 4 new 16" tires on my trailer 3 came up at 1 oz or less and got no weights one got about 3oz. If you jack your trailer up and let gravity find the wheels heavy spot you can add weights to the top which will be the light spot. ---Trevor

Dick Butler 04-26-2015 03:24 PM

You probably did even better since you balanced the drums with the tire/wheel combination.