CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   AV gas ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69250)

rod 03-11-2018 01:28 PM

AV gas ?

the kid who used to sell race gas here has moved away. I am tempted to try AV gas. I believe it is 100 LL. cost about $5.30 per. it is my understanding the AV gas uses a different octane rating that car gas. right or no? also the LL stands for low lead, and actually has more lead that auto gas did back in the day.
I know you real racers would not use it. but I am in a tight place. so what are the good & bad points to this.
thanks Rod in AZ

Eman 03-11-2018 01:33 PM

Re: AV gas ?

Can't comment as far as class racing goes. As far as bracket racing goes AV gas is my fuel of choice. price and quality make it my best choice. I'm at 11.25:1 but friends have run it at 14:1 with big inch SBC and no problems. As long as it's easily available to me it's what I'll run, if that changed I'd go to e85.

Demon340 03-11-2018 02:12 PM

I heard that it wont pass tech for class racers.

GTX JOHN 03-11-2018 02:49 PM

Absolutely will not pass fuel check for class stuff.
I am about an hour North of you....... Boat Storage on Canyon Dr.
sells 110 Leaded race gas out of the pump.......I drive the Bracket Cars
a block up the street and "Fill her up" and back to shop.

I had trouble tuning the AV gas from our Airport for my cars....Kind off
stumbled even after tuning a bit! Also the were not interested in selling
it without me flying in and supplying a Number from plane. Been a few year back thou.

Marc 03-11-2018 03:03 PM

My dad has been using it for years on his 12.5:1 BBF with no issues. His motor was gone through this winter and showed no ill effects. But he doesn't class race so rules aren't an issue.

rod 03-11-2018 03:58 PM

John, how much is it [$$$] there at the boat place? what time do the open or is it a credit card pump? can you give me good directions, please.
thanks Rod in AZ

GTX JOHN 03-13-2018 03:25 AM

I think $7.95 a gallon.

Call me (I think you have #) and I will take you up there most any afternoon.

My shop is a block away....Boulder City Trailers

Dan Fahey 03-13-2018 02:51 PM

100LL gas is good especially for hot days and or high altitude tracks.
The Vapor Pressure is lower than auto fuel.
Prevents Vapor Lock and allows airplanes to fly at high altitudes.

Project 392 03-13-2018 08:59 PM

Rod: FYI, Parker Oil in LHC has drive up, credit card at the pump for 100LL av gas. Price will vary as usual, last I got was $5 per. Beats hand carrying jugs out to the ramp and back when they decide to let you buy. I use the av gas and have for a long time.

Victor in Kingman

Eman 03-14-2018 10:04 AM

There's a few things people don't know about AV gas. AV gas must be transported in a dedicated tanker truck, race gas not so much. AV gas storage tanks must be opened cleaned and inspected periodically. The quality alone makes it a good choice especially compared to places that carry race gas as a sideline in an old tank where the fuel sits for long periods of time. No quality control from the distributor to the consumer.