CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Penn vs Valvoline test results..Ed Wright (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72020)

Jeff Niceswanger 01-19-2019 12:26 PM

Re: Penn vs Valvoline test results..Ed Wright

Dave Layer and myself were dyno'ing one afternoon over at his shop. I don't know how we missed it, but we made a complete 7800 rpm pull after the oil pump pic-up broke off on the previous pull. Embarrassing for both of us,. I don't know what we were looking at, but obviously not what we were supposed to be. The printout let us know we only had 5 lbs. of pressure the entire pull. We pulled all the caps, and the bearings looked like they had never been ran. Pretty unbelievable. The oil was Amsoil 10-30 Racing.

ss3011 01-19-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger (Post 580638)
Dave Layer and myself were dyno'ing one afternoon over at his shop. I don't know how we missed it, but we made a complete 7800 rpm pull after the oil pump pic-up broke off on the previous pull. Embarrassing for both of us,. I don't know what we were looking at, but obviously not what we were supposed to be. The printout let us know we only had 5 lbs. of pressure the entire pull. We pulled all the caps, and the bearings looked like they had never been ran. Pretty unbelievable. The oil was Amsoil 10-30 Racing.

Did that improve the power at all ?

Jeff Stout 01-19-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 580640)

Curious x2

Jeff Niceswanger 01-19-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 580640)

I looked up the sheets. Five horsepower. The pick-up broke on pull # 3 and the no oil pressure was pull was # 4. The short block had been broke in previously with a different set of heads. So oil temp might have been a little of that five horsepower. Dave's dyno did not register oil temp. Experienced dyno operators on here will know better than me
Man we sure do miss that guy ………..

MR DERBY CITY 01-19-2019 08:16 PM

A very well respected engine builder told me that on one occasion the customer told him to drain all the oil out of the SBC engine before the last pull, it picked up 8 HP and was still in one piece when disassembled for a freshen up......I won’t reveal his name but he was the mayor of a small city between Texas and Arkansas.....
..LOL. ,!!!

Alan Nyhus 01-19-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Gusack (Post 580574)
I don't like all the moly in it and it's the main reason I got away from VR1 back in the 80's. Tear downs always had a bunch of black slime in the pan and I hated it.

Pull the pan when the engine is still hot/warm and you won't see that. High zinc oils (over 1,000 ppm) will precipitate additives when the oil is cold. -Al

TOSTO RACING 01-19-2019 08:49 PM

So 5-8 hp from 10w30 to no oil ! Is it really worth any hp, from 10w30 to 0w5 LOL .we all do it ,but.......

ss3011 01-19-2019 08:57 PM

Oil helps the rings seal , without any maybe you would lose power from that and offset the gains from low oil pressure .

Greg Barsamian 01-19-2019 10:35 PM

Looking for Opinions / Experiences on the differences between using Valvoline VR 10w-30 Synthetic-Blend vs Valvoline VR 10w-30 "Full Synthetic" motor oil?

Specifically with respect to ring wear?

Ron Gusack 01-20-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus (Post 580654)
Pull the pan when the engine is still hot/warm and you won't see that. High zinc oils (over 1,000 ppm) will precipitate additives when the oil is cold. -Al

This might be true Alan, but I don't see the same amount in the pan after switching to Brad Penn, which has no moly. If I convince myself that the VR1 has better wear numbers, I'll gladly live with some goop in the pan.

The question that I can't seem to get a decent answer to is why so many racers use multi weight oil instead of straight weight.