CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Cheating Bunch (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=78611)

John DiBartolomeo 02-17-2021 08:36 AM

A Cheating Bunch

1 Attachment(s)
"Of course, I say that with a smirk and a smile on my face… all kiddingly naturally."

https://dragracingedge.com/featured-...heating-bunch/

Ok stocker 02-17-2021 05:48 PM

Re: A Cheating Bunch

Went my son was in Boy Scouts they had the derby cars built from kits. They stressed the weight had to meet. We showed up with a car that met weight and all the rules. The more experienced adults knew they were not actually going to weigh the cars. We came in last place. Lol
I picked up one of my sons friends cars. I bet it weighed 10 lbs. That’s when I learned a valuable lesson.

John Kissel 02-17-2021 07:00 PM

There was something I read a while ago about the "soap box derby" cars. The cars are held up at :start of the ramp by a metal plate. Someone figured out where to mount a magnet so that when the plate dropped down, the magnet would help give a good hole shot and win.

BG56 02-17-2021 07:12 PM

If you stick around after the Pinewood Derby is over you'll see the Real fast cars come out. The organizers and 'informed' parents had cars that were built to run fast, no asthetics. Aside from polishing the axles and 'rounding' the wheels, all you need is a 3/4" wood dowel hollowed out and filled with weight (lead). Weight mounted as low as possible and alignment was very important . I won't get into the CNCd wheels and axles, but of course there was not a scale to be found either!

Jeff Stout 02-17-2021 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kissel (Post 634632)
There was something I read a while ago about the "soap box derby" cars. The cars are held up at :start of the ramp by a metal plate. Someone figured out where to mount a magnet so that when the plate dropped down, the magnet would help give a good hole shot and win.

This was a great story. I had to think for a minute what it was a accomplishing.

Eric Merryfield 02-17-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG56 (Post 634633)
If you stick around after the Pinewood Derby is over you'll see the Real fast cars come out. The organizers and 'informed' parents had cars that were built to run fast, no asthetics. Aside from polishing the axles and 'rounding' the wheels, all you need is a 3/4" wood dowel hollowed out and filled with weight (lead). Weight mounted as low as possible and alignment was very important . I won't get into the CNCd wheels and axles, but of course there was not a scale to be found either!

One of the best things about cub scouts for myself and my son and the extended family. Back when I was a kid, 76/77 I went to the new england regionals with my built in the basement special. Looked bad, hauled ***, and certainly weighed, graphite on those wheels, and only having 3 out of 4 down, along with Irish coins in the rear were the trick for me. Still proud of that bad boy.

I couldn't compete with the 100% dad built toys that rolled in there.

When my kid was of age, I followed the same formula, he built it, decorated it, I tweaked it on the weight front and setup, three wheels down, etc, used my big dollar digital scale at work to be 100% legal. He did well all three years with his home built toys, earned whatever he got, now he's a Marine, where as the saying goes earned, not given.

Eric

rognelson777 02-17-2021 08:23 PM

cheating is when you specifically disobey something that is in black and white.. example, nitrous oxide is not allowed in prostock and you hide it in the drysump tank. using the rules to your advantage, innovative!. formula 1 at one point limited fuel tank size, one team found out they could put 20pct more fuel in if they cooled fuel significantly. unforseen problem. race delayed while cars on grid and fuel started overflowing as it warmed up

SSDiv6 02-17-2021 08:54 PM

Part of creativity... :D

Keith 944 02-17-2021 09:23 PM

"When my kid was of age, I followed the same formula, he built it, decorated it, I tweaked it on the weight front and setup, three wheels down, etc, used my big dollar digital scale at work to be 100% legal. He did well all three years with his home built toys, earned whatever he got, now he's a Marine, where as the saying goes earned, not given."

Eric

I like what Eric did!
What are people teaching their kids by cheating?

Mike Pearson 02-18-2021 10:03 AM

I still have my Pinewood Derby car. It was the second place car that year.