CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "claiming" a different yr in Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74530)

Dano 10-21-2019 10:35 AM

"claiming" a different yr in Stock

This is a general question:

I am contemplating a change in year for my stocker. If the body style, (generation) is the same, can I use my existing NHRA # and just adjust info at the LODRS event? Or do I need a different #?

Lew Silverman 10-21-2019 10:59 AM

Re: "claiming" a different yr in Stock

Your "Competition Number" stays the same, as long as you don't change eliminators. Some folks have been able to keep their numbers the same in both Stock and Super Stock, but obviosly with two different vehicles.

So far as "claiming" a different year is concerned, it all depends on how down in the weeds you want to go. There are some vehicles in the "Book" that only need a cosmetic change to move from year-to-year (think 3rd Gen Nova) to more involved changes like differences in sheetmetal. Many "race cars" don't have their VIN tags anymore, so who's to say what the year is, as long as the vehicle presents itself correctly.

Mark Ugrich 10-21-2019 11:45 AM

As far as I know NHRA does not check VIN.

Dano 10-22-2019 05:43 AM

The car is a 70 Nova, 402 ci with Aluminum heads that went from 405 hp to 415 which added about 80 lbs. Will paperwork as a
'69 next time out and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

jmcarter 10-22-2019 06:26 AM

You might consider changing the taillight lenses. I was asked to bring my car into full compliance with the trim claimed, which I of course did without complaint. Just trying to save you some grief...

Dano 10-22-2019 07:53 AM

Tail lights, Markers and front bumper, (bumper has been changed) are different. '70 Fender openings for markers are too large for the '69's and the tail lights I believe will need tail panel mods. If I'm wrong about this please let me know, no offense will be taken.

Pedigo Perf 10-22-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 600280)
The car is a 70 Nova, 402 ci with Aluminum heads that went from 405 hp to 415 which added about 80 lbs. Will paperwork as a
'69 next time out and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

Exhaust valves, pistons, and bore size are different from 69 to 70 also.

Dano 10-22-2019 09:11 AM

correcto…….Thanks

Todd Bailey 10-22-2019 10:24 AM

I spoke with Wesley at Indy this year concerning a Nova and his reply was "Is it gonna make the car faster?" I told him no and he said there is your answer.

Rod Greene 10-22-2019 03:26 PM

I don't know a thing about chevies but there are a lot of Mopars out there that do not have the OEM correct trim for the year claimed. As was just posted if it doesn't make it faster..........

I remember back in the day when the VIN had to match.