CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Original hemi dart information (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002)

X-TECH MAN 08-08-2011 02:08 PM

Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi Moose (Post 273347)
I posted a pic of John Derosa's 68 Hemi Dart several pages back, but here are some more photos of it...It was purchased new at Bob Banning Dodge in Hyattsville, Maryland.
http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/0bc46e5bc5.jpg

I think this picture was taken at MIR (Budds Creek, Md.) during a S/S meet and Ive seen this car with 5 spoke Cragars on the front and steel wheels on the rear around 69-70 ? Also I remember the red paint with and without the silver scalops on the sides. It was STILL slow compared to the other Darts and 'Cudas......LOL.

X-TECH MAN 08-08-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi Moose (Post 273799)
Hey X-Tech Man, what are some of the other 68 Hemi Dart's & Hemi Barracuda's you remember seeing at the different tracks back then, did you ever do any teardowns on any of them?

I remember checking one that won with then IHRA tech boss Robert Lenord. at Rockingham back in the mid 70's. It was a post race win and the engine was found illegal. That turned into a "Stink" and the state police were called after the driver pulled a gun and threatened us ! Checked Vernon Rowleys 64 SS/B 64 Hemi Plymouth after a points race at MIR and it was found OK. Checked Steve Bagwells 'Cuda at Drag way 42 once for a record with Terry Earwood driving and Steves 65 SS/BA car. I had to help check a red Dart running SS/AA for piston volume at Farmington after they set the record once when I was with a friend racing his car and not working that paticular race. It passed also as the engine was one by Ray Barton. I gave the tech crew a trainning lession on C.C.ing Hemi pistons down in the hole....LOL. There were others but I will have to try to remember as it was a long time ago. I havent woeked for IHRA in over 10 years. All but the red dart record at Farmington was before porting the heaqds was allowed. Check a couple of 'Cudas at Rockingham and Bristol back in the early 90's. Cant remember their names but they were beautiful cars.

68hemiss 08-08-2011 06:59 PM

Daryl,
The question I have is when were the S/O numbers assigned to the cars? Remember Chrysler was originally building 50 of each with or without pre-paid sales. This is a little different than typical production cars. I am guessing that the order was put in by the factory - cars were run down the factory production line adding and deleting what parts were required and then shipped off to Hurst without an owner attached to the cars. There was no "Typical factory" production line at Hurst - the cars were brought in put up on jackstands and modifications were made. My guess is that the owner was attached to the car when they were ready to ship - I am sure that there were adjustments in this but I have heard of a couple of cars that when the owner picked it up they got a 4-speed instead of an automatic. another of the last cars supposedly got a Dana - even though it was an automatic. Landy got the first Dart sent to him unassembled (if I am not mistaken) and it is not the earliest VIN# - I am guessing that they just grabbed one and sent it to him - no real rhyme or reason to the sequence. I have a list of the first 50 cars (Chrysler paperwork - but no VIN#'s) there are a number of cars that should be on there but aren't - Herb McCandless & Larry Griffith to name a couple and their cars should have been on it based on the VIN #. I also know of one confirmed dealer swap from Mr Norms to another dealer in IL. I have also heard of owners showing up to pick their car up and the guy pointing to a group of cars and telling him to pick one out. I think that we expect neat and tidy solutions about the beginnings of these cars - like production cars but in many cases I just don't think that the same logic applies.
The theory about Flynn having two cars is just that - it meets the silver and red that was found under the paint on your car - and the car came from about the same area. I don't think that Flynn raced S/S much in 69 because he was also running a Charger funny car (or was that 70). But it is possible. I do have pictures of the current Flynn car after he sold it to the second owner in OH (who I have not contacted) and it is in Bill's paint (was until the third owner had it for a while), still has the 69 grille, the Bill's distinctive hood supports, Keystones but the stripe around the rear is silver - not yellow.
Mark J

68hemiss 08-08-2011 07:07 PM

Hemi Moose,
We are still trying to find the origin of Ed's Dart. I know that there is some paperwork floating around (on the internet) for a Hemi Dart from VanDyke Dodge but in my opinion it is BS. I can't prove this but I have alot of factory and dealership paperwork on these cars and this paperwork is not even close. I do not know if VanDyke ever actually ordered a car - I have no proof of this at all. The rumor about Ed's car is that it was one of Shirley Shahan's cars. As far back as we can track it it was in central IL, painted white and blue - automatic car - there was white paint under the car and red in the engine compartment. I thought a friend of mine showed me some photos of The Go Hummer car that showed a red engine compartment. My guess is that it could be the Go Hummer car - white with blue, female driver???
Anyone have an old picture of the Go Hummer's engine compartment?
Mark J

Paul Ceasrine 08-08-2011 07:07 PM

http://images33.fotki.com/v1115/phot...eet1968-vi.jpg

A very rare photo.
'Canadian Challenge'
Super Stock Event, at Cayuga Dragway, Canada
May 1968

Ed Miller, before he lettered the SS/B Hemi Barracuda...
versus
Lance Hill in the Hill / Dick Arons 1968 SS/EA Camaro SS 396/325HP

Liteweight 08-08-2011 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Cookie Duster SS/B . Another Silver/ Red LO. Whereabouts unknown.

lightweight

Paul Ceasrine 08-08-2011 08:10 PM

http://murdercycles.com/v-web/galler.../x29.sized.jpg

Paul Bailey's 'Coyote Duster' in 1969.
1968 SS/D Hemi Road Runner

Paul Bailey's Chrysler-Plymouth out of North Kingston, Rhode Island, but campaigned in Connecticut.

Liteweight 08-08-2011 11:28 PM

The Jack Werst BO car with the not so legal SS/EA Hemi Superbird in tow

liteweight

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...-aramptrck.jpg

68hemiss 08-09-2011 01:22 AM

Paul/Daryl,
I saw in an old Drag News (can't remember which one now) that the driver of the Boch Dodge 67 Hemi S/S car was trading the 67 in for a new Hemi Dart. I don't have his name handy, but I have never seen another reference to the car - not sure if it happened. Boch Dodge was in Norwood, Ma and they were a advertised as a Hi-Performance Center.
Possible??

hemidart3 08-09-2011 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just a lurker on here (love this blog though) that built a clone for the street so i've study these cars some. anyway a photo of the peddler car with the rear stripe that i think was posted here earlier has an april 69 date on the side