CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Automatic trans steal plates? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69219)

SSGN 03-07-2018 11:25 PM

Automatic trans steel plates?

Years ago when I did trannys at a Chrysler dealership I used to sand the steels to put a cross hatch in them. Just curious to see what others are doing to the steel plates. Do you install them as is , sand blast, sand or anything else? Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Mark Ugrich 03-08-2018 12:58 AM

Re: Automatic trans steal plates?

The transmission shop i managed used a local metal polishing company that would use a vibratory or tumble polish process. The plates had a hammer type finish to them. It worked fine for most of the rebuilds we did. However if I was doing my own transmission , I’d replace the steels if there was the slightest question of their condition. For as little as they cost it’s just cheap insurance.

SSGN 03-08-2018 07:15 AM

I always install new plates and was curious to see if anyone did anything with them from new.
Thanks again

Alan Roehrich 03-08-2018 08:28 AM

I use Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels. Type F fluid.

However, you can use one of those angle die grinders, a 2" or 3" Roloc backer, and ScotchBrite discs, on untreated steels, to create that crosshatch. You can also use them on steel drums where a band is applied.

SSGN 03-13-2018 06:47 AM

Thanks Alan, I picked up some red 2 inch discs for my angle die grinder and will give that a try. I will experiment on some old ones first. Thanks again for the info.

Larry Hill 03-13-2018 08:29 AM

Why make the surface of the steels like a washboard with a grinder? I thought it was contact area it needed.

ss3011 03-13-2018 10:43 AM

The surface finish has a lot to do with how the clutch applies . Grooved plates , will hold oil and slow down the apply . Quickest shifts will be with flat , smooth steels .

BTW , If a steel plate has heat spots on it , then throw it away . If you measure the thickness of the steel plate at a heat spot , compared to a non heated area , it will be thicker . Those heat spots are actually showing a change of metallurgy of the steel which swells the metal . If you glass bead the steel , or sand it , it doesn't really fix the problem of a hot spotted plate . Those swelled areas will shorten the life of the clutch plate , which will be running on those high spots . Best to have a nice new flat , and smooth plate .

SSGN 03-13-2018 11:27 AM

Thanks for that info. I am installing new steals and leaving them as out of the box. The scotchbrite is to remove the glaze from the reaction plates that are not readily available for these transmissions .