CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crate Motor Class (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=15088)

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 03:18 PM

Crate Motor Class

Xx

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 03:20 PM

Re: Crate Motor Class

outlaw 10.5 racing is looking better every day, i swear

Bruce Noland 01-08-2009 03:23 PM

They would open up car counts at all National Events if that was true. Nice try.

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 03:40 PM

I've never understood why NHRA stocker drivers hate us crate motor cars so much.......its like we aren't good enough we are the poor people that can't get into the good resturants.....not trying to start anything just wondering why all yall hate it so bad

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 03:53 PM

Xx

Bruce Noland 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

Geez, hate is an awful strong word. I certainly don't hate crate motor cars. Poor people in restaurants? Man, that's a little too bitter for my tastes.

I do enjoy class racing at either nhra or IHRA.

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson (Post 98940)
I've never understood why NHRA stocker drivers hate us crate motor cars so much.......its like we aren't good enough we are the poor people that can't get into the good resturants.....not trying to start anything just wondering why all yall hate it so bad

because it dilutes the class. As it stands right now (with the exception of a few paper cars), the motor in the car was available in the car. Have you ever tried to explain a SS/GT car to a casual fan? at least with stock and SS(traditional) its alot easier to explain. A crate motor stocker is barely a step removed froma bracket car

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 04:05 PM

Xx

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ (Post 98945)
A crate motor stocker is barely a step removed froma bracket car
What ! !
You Best take them words back Sonny,,,,,

Gee, The Super Stock guy's all let the GT cars in?
And the fans, believe it or not seem to understand the class.
Casual fan? Hell their at the Hot Dog stand when SS and STK. run.....

well Ken, i do sell alot of crate motors to bracket racers. i just think that every step away from the purity of the class, and there is no arguing that crate motors are a BIG step away, makes the class less and less relavent, and one step closer to being on the NHRA Summit bracket series, with pro/super pro. once again, I'm glad IHRA runs them and they are definetly another option for those that want to race them. I would rather see Stock/GT than crate motors myself though

Lyn Smith 01-08-2009 04:24 PM

Crate motor racers. Are you ready to get your runner volumes checked?

Dick Butler 01-08-2009 04:30 PM

If a crate motor has a series of specs and hp or cubic inch rule and can be teched the difference is????
Modified SS cars are how different from SS cars and GT cars?

Tod Lane 01-08-2009 04:31 PM

Do you suppose a casual fan knows the difference between a 245 horse 350 and a 255 horse motor? Do you suppose pure and extinct is better than contaminated and viable?
Personally, I kind of like the idea of new combinations revitalizing the class with new blood. An LS6 454 in a second gen Camaro, a Crate 302 Ford in an T-bird. Why not? Stock suspensions, stock interiors, crate motors subjected to the same scrutiny as other stock combinations... And it could help with the cost of building a class car.

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 04:31 PM

Xx

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 04:37 PM

Bruce, im not trying to be too bitter, i understand what you mean about racing NHRA and IHRA but poeple that run crate motors do not get the same benefit to do so...i just thought we are all racers we all race for the same reasons.....but then you get Mr Rhodes saying carte motor cars would dilute the class....i just don't see any problem .... and ive never seen a crate motor car fail a tear down but i sure do hear alot of those other SA cars faling tech....

Dick Butler 01-08-2009 04:38 PM

Why not change the term to SPEC motor?

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 04:42 PM

do NHRA stockers not have specs.......my motor is the same as a motor in a 95 mustang infact the sonly diff. is intake and carb no efi..everyhting is just the same as o/sa or whater a 95 mustang 5.0 runs in....

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson (Post 98955)
Bruce, im not trying to be too bitter, i understand what you mean about racing NHRA and IHRA but poeple that run crate motors do not get the same benefit to do so...i just thought we are all racers we all race for the same reasons.....but then you get Mr Rhodes saying carte motor cars would dilute the class....i just don't see any problem .... and ive never seen a crate motor car fail a tear down but i sure do hear alot of those other SA cars faling tech....

when you built or bought your car, did you not have the option to go either crate motor or traditional stocker? were you unaware that NHRA didn't run crate motor cars?

IHRA has always run classes that NHRA did not (pure stock, formula stock, GT Stock, crate motor). I have no problem with IHRA racing, plan to do somethis year. But when you build a combo that is specific to IHRA then complain when the NHRA guys don't want to allow it is like buying a lot in a golf course community and complaining when they won't let you put a double wide on it. you knew the rules going in. Did you see how much opposition there was to allowing AA/S and AA/SA in NHRA? And that was just a weight break for existing cars. People complain that there is not enough heads up racing, and too many classes as is. How many more would crate motors add? Class Wins already pay NOTHING, do you think NHRA wants to give out 100 wallys in a 128 car eliminator field?

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 04:49 PM

actually when built the car DAD ran the car in n/sa and o/sa yes i know NHRa doesn't run crate motor cars....but you can't tell me a fan cares mor about weither your car is supposidly a orgional stocker ive never seen a 68 camero with a factory 396 run 10.30's in quarter mile you say thats stock B/s....we chose to do crate motor because NHRA tracks aren't thriving in north or south carolina and the money on computers for efi is outrageous. we chose what was best for us...i just don't see your significant difference

I just want to add i love all race cars including the NHRA legal stockers and super stockers....im currently building a ss/ka car i just would like to bring both cars if i ever did run NHRA...

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 04:50 PM

Xx

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ (Post 98961)
OK, How about GT/Stock ?
Like the SS class has...
Newer cars with a stocker type motor.

now THAT may have merit, as long as it goes both ways like the current NHRA rules. And i say that only because they already exist in SS

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 05:00 PM

ken what kind of car do you run im trying to think if ive ever seen it before being you live down the road from me

Bruce Noland 01-08-2009 05:10 PM

Ken,

Please tell us the name of the "higher up" person at nhra?

Crate motor racing is great but comparing them to regular Stockers is the old apples and oranges thing. Crate motor racing does allow the budget racers to get out there and race with IHRA Stock racers, but like Chad said it would seriously reduce the value of about 2,000 nhra stockers in the country. I don't think any of us want to see that happen. It's as much about personal investment (time and money) as it is about racing.

Dick, it would be a lot easier to deal with your suggestions if you were still racing. Your history in the Sport is great but it is still history.

Dick Butler 01-08-2009 05:11 PM

Would you factor them on bogus HP or use CU. In.?

Bobby Zlatkin 01-08-2009 05:35 PM

I do see one problem the NHRA racers would have with it, and I don't blame them.
Although this would not effect the majority of crate motor cars.
And that is; crate motor cars being allowed to run a 10.5" tire. Not a level playing field.

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 05:37 PM

Brandon, White 88 Camaro C & D Crate motor
I live outside Lexington NC.

Bruce,, I can't

Dick,
GT Stock
They should run what ever HP NHRA has them at.
Crate motor can run the IHRA factor to start why not?

Bobby, 9 inch tires would be fine.
Most people run a 9 inch now.

Duane Eiskant II 01-08-2009 05:57 PM

xxx

Duane Eiskant II 01-08-2009 05:57 PM

Hey Ken, long time no see. Do miss the top stock days with you guys tho. I think NHRA should run Stock/ GT and ill be the first one in the gate. My engine is a true NHRA 73 cleveland engine, and does run good. For me it would be easier for NHRA to run S/GT verse spending 20 grand to build a new car. But i can always run super stock gt. As long as i play the ladder game i think i can miss the heads up runs. Email me sometime Ken, we need to catch up....BTW hows Lee and Big Mike doing?
Lil Duane

Ed Fernandez 01-08-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Butler (Post 98956)
Why not change the term to SPEC motor?

Crate motors were allowed in IHRA because of low car counts.NHRA only has a car count issue in Div 4 and 5 due to travel issues.leave things as is.
Dick,put a chiffon dress on a pig and it's still a pig.

Ed F.

KEN BUGAJ 01-08-2009 06:04 PM

Xx

Stocker 2 01-08-2009 06:11 PM

One of the reasons NHRA stock racers do not like Crate Motor class is the engines used are not Crate Motors. If Crate Motors were actually used the factorys would be pressuring NHRA to have the classes in Stock. Chrysler was ready to back the deal until it came to light that racers were not using Crate Motors bought from the dealer. Racers were buying a pair of heads and making the Crate Motors themselves.

Chad has it right. Bracket racers buy Crate Motors from the dealer, put them in their bracket cars and actually race them. If IHRA stock racers had done what was intended by when the class was started there would be factory sponsorship.

So now NHRA should mold counterfeit Crate Motors into their successful Stock Eliminator. I don't think so.

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez (Post 98985)
Crate motors were allowed in IHRA because of low car counts.NHRA only has a car count issue in Div 4 and 5 due to travel issues.leave things as is.
Dick,put a chiffon dress on a pig and it's still a pig.

Ed F.

from the D4 races I have attended, i wouldn't say there is an attendance problem

Chad Rhodes 01-08-2009 06:16 PM

stocker 2 makes a very good point. Now since Stock has gotten more expensive, as has SS, maybe we should have a Crate Motor eliminator. Do it like the round track guys, SEAL THE MOTORS, they have to go back to be freshened, etc.

I would be all for that, and would probably build a car for it, as i could footbrake it locally as well (not practical with the AA/SA car)

danny waters sr 01-08-2009 06:18 PM

I like the crate motor cars as long as they were running crate motor classes .Don't get me wrong on this next statement and remember the first comment above. In IHRA crate motor cars is what killed our old top stock program . Oh by the way while we are on the top stock subject, it will not be back in IHRA this year as a indexed class. x-tech man will probably agree with me on this !. Crate motor classes are still welcome in IHRA......

Charley Downing 01-08-2009 07:14 PM

Crate motors in NHRA stk (HA HA) Wally would role over in his grave. I know I have been away from the internet and a TV for a few days but with all this nonsense they must have legalized the use of cocaine because some of you are talking crazy. Ken stk fields are full at over 85% of all nationals events where is the problem? NHRA already has more stock and supertock cars then they want. Also GT is nothing close to crate motor those combos were actually made. Even NHRA in all there stupidly Knows IHRA crate motor is a joke and would not do something that stupid. Ken if you are telling the truth tells us who you are taking to or is this a made up story. Until then Crate motors cars (or bracket cars with Holleys and bogus specs) will race under the big red top tent at all IHRA circus events where they belong. Case closed!

LNorton 01-08-2009 07:55 PM

And in the end we are all just a bunch of bracket racers with high dollar bracket cars...

Michael Beard 01-08-2009 08:25 PM

I don't know why we're allowed 10.5" tires. I've always run 9" M/T's myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker 2 (Post 98989)
One of the reasons NHRA stock racers do not like Crate Motor class is the engines used are not Crate Motors. If Crate Motors were actually used the factorys would be pressuring NHRA to have the classes in Stock. Chrysler was ready to back the deal until it came to light that racers were not using Crate Motors bought from the dealer. Racers were buying a pair of heads and making the Crate Motors themselves.

That's a rather confusing statement... who's buying a new small block '69 Camaro from the dealer? They're not. You're using pieces with the proper part numbers available on your NHRA engine spec sheet that the factories have already produced and sold. Crate Motors still match the original spec sheets (except for the addition of the R/T heads, which NHRA has also allowed in SS)... unlike the magical "superseded" parts some "traditional" stockers have...:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but my crate motor car is a lot more "stock" than some "real" Stockers out there!

I don't know about the "crate motors are cheap" argument. Parts are easier to find, but otherwise, they're built to spec just like traditional Stockers. And the statement about "take a crate motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing" makes about as much sense as "take a Stocker motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing." Obviously, some people are 1) unfamiliar with today's bracket cars or 2) don't understand the incredibly simple concept of Crate Motor Stock.

That being said, NO, I don't think NHRA needs to add Crate Motors. (or Stock GT for that matter) It's kind of a silly argument, from either side, actually. If your Stocker doesn't have any superseded parts, a questionable origin, wheelie bars, a fuel cell, $5,000 cylinder heads, aluminum trans, a tiny battery, an "empty" battery, an alternator that doesn't work, and/or an electric water pump, then feel free to look down on Crate Motor cars.

Personally, I appreciate all cars.

Bobby Lundholm 01-08-2009 08:47 PM

Well said Michael. There is no such thing as "stock" eliminator anymore.

Brandon Peterson 01-08-2009 08:58 PM

Word up mike.......

Ed Fernandez 01-08-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ (Post 98987)
Duane,
How's everything?

The way the country is today we better ALL race together.
It's going to be hard to get any large fields together.
If NHRA & IHRA don't get racer's they won't be around...

ED,
Crate Motors were allowed because of GM, Mopar,Ford wanting to get them on the market.
IHRA always had a fair car count, Crate motors have taken over because of the cost to build one.

Ken;
If it werent for crate motors I've seen car counts that wouldn't fill a telephone booth.
Chad;
Div 4 can pull cars but it's a problem in the Div 5 area.

Ed

Randy Schonscheck 01-08-2009 09:23 PM

Well said, Michael. With all of the recent comments about pouring runners and trying to decide if the numbers from 30 plus years ago were accurate,well here's a chance to pour the heads on these crate motors. Then from that point on there is some numbers that are recent and there shouldn't be such a big cloud of doubt. These engnes don't have all the superseded parts either. Hell, you can buy a complete engine for the cost of a pair of big block cylinder heads. I love the "regular" stock classes as much as anyone, but there is a place for everyone without rippin' on anyone with a different opinion. The way things are we should support anyone who wants to drag race at all. I remember when the S/S GT style conversions came out everyone was upset. But if it was up to just having traditional S/S cars, the S/S class would be long gone. Thanks, Randy