CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Garage Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Shop, need suggestions (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=41758)

Ken Miele 07-08-2012 09:59 PM

Shop, need suggestions

3 Attachment(s)
I thought this would be a good forum to start because of obvious reasons. Most of us have garages and shops that we store and work on our race cars. After ten years of neglecting my shop for one reason or another, I thought it was time to finish the inside. Below are pictures of what it looked like before and now. If anyone is interested, I have some pictures of the 4 weeks it took me to get to this point. I have always wanted a nice clean bright shop. I know some feel if it is not messy then there is no working being done, but I wanted neat a clean. My next project is to add some wall cabinets. After that I‘m looking into a 2 post lift.

If anyone has any suggestion feel free to chime in. I have a 127 inch ceiling so I am limited to the type of lift I can use. Cabinet suggestions are also welcome.

Tell us about your shop or garage, and don’t forget the pictures. I think this can become a great place for ideas, suggestions and help. We all need the right equipment and a place to work on our cars. Whether you do everything your self or just maintain your race car, lets see your shop and here your ideas.

cicero819 07-09-2012 04:18 PM

Re: Shop, need suggestions

2 Attachment(s)
Ken Great idea, here's are some pictures of my past garage, presently using a temporary winter garage until next year when my township final approval since i have one of those crazy neighbor who contest everything you do. Metal cabinets are quite expensive $5K and up. Try checking with some local kitchen cabinet makers, you can by plywood grade cabinets for a great price, the great part, they won't rust. You're right there is nothing better to work than a clean garage. Claude

Ken Miele 07-09-2012 07:30 PM

Claude,

That was a nice garage, I like the floor. I need to do my floor as you can see by the picture, I need to recoat. I was not thinking of metal cabinets, I like the ones you had, the gray ones, but I would go with white.

My township is the same way. I could only build a 30x36, I should have went higher though. My neighbor called the township every month even though I never made any noise. Now that he passed away, there is piece in the neighborhood. Keep us updated on the build, I would love to see your ideas.

Keith 944 07-09-2012 10:53 PM

thought i could add a few of my new garage, i too was limited. it is a 40x36. i did decide to make it tall enough to work on the motor home, trucks etc. i do custom painting and have yet to put in a booth, still looking at my options. i made one door 12x12 the other two are 10x10. i found the lift at Greg smith equipment, picked it up just a few miles away, and installed it myself, it is the 10k extra tall and extra wide, i can drive the m/h through it. i also got a trans jack, two large adj. stands. new 50' hose real and a large roller oil drain. all for a haggled price of $2500. i have an unfinished office now and storage space above it. was thinking more of a brass pole up there just in case....i made a room in the back for my air compressor and the lift accessories. i love the lights, they are the new 4 bulb sunlight instant on fixtures. i also installed a sink and a drain. i can wash my cars indoors now. had the whole front paved and added a RV dump and 30 amp receptacle where i park the m/h. also added several 50 amp recp. for my welder and all on walls are 20 amp for the plasma cutter. had receptacles mounted in a finished ceiling so i could add a door opener and one for the 75' ceiling extension cord. installed a surround sound and the 42" LCD TV. would someday like to finish the inside walls like the ceiling, but the TV pushed the wife off the edge so that may have to wait.....

Ken Miele 07-10-2012 11:02 AM

Keith,

Nice shop, I like the high door for the big stuff. How do you like your Atlas lift?

Keith 944 07-10-2012 11:15 AM

i love the lift, made the wife help me change out both transmissions at our other house's garage, on the floor. she agreed a lift would be part of this new garage. (sometimes it's all in the way you ask, lol) also, i was able to drive about 20 miles, pick it up, (they had 10 in stock) and make a heck of a deal on it with all the other accessories! installed it myself within a day. had about 4 others help lift it in place after i assembled it on the floor... i also used it to lift the front of the motor home while i did the brakes, i think it is the best tool i ever bought!

Ken Miele 07-10-2012 04:37 PM

Sounds good, I am looking into a Mohawk. They are a little pricy, but they fit well when you have 10ft ceiling. The hydraulics are above the lift and adjustable. All other lifts for low ceiling height have the hydraulics run across the floor in a 2 inch high strip. I don't want that little hump on the floor.

Keith 944 07-10-2012 06:19 PM

yep, that hump or any bar on the floor would just be in the way, have you thought about a 4 post lift as an option? they now make them on wheels so they can be moved around the shop when not in use. some have very nice features.
also for cabinets, i found the new style craftsman to be very nice and sturdy, the doors open with space inside for cans etc. i bought 2, a floor cabinet and a wall unit. much better than some of the flimsy alternatives, took a lot of time shopping and looking at these, i for one like to be able to touch and see something before i buy. these were nice and not bad on price...all my other cabinets/ workbenches, i kept from my other shop. gave them a coat of truck bed-liner paint, what a difference..

p.s. very nice overhaul of your shop, did not see a fire ext. though, always a good idea

Ken Miele 07-10-2012 07:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I thought about a four post, but even though you can move it around, the two post takes up less space. With a two post I can have a car on either side and I’m able to keep the middle open for street car work.

I was thinking on going with Ulti-MATE cabinets. They are reasonable priced and come in white.

I went with the metal for the interior walls instead of drywall. I hate painting, and the drywall would have made a mess of everything, with tape and painting. It was a pain just moving stuff from one side to another, as you can tell by the mess. Drywall would have been a nightmare. I like the idea of being able to get behind the wall for electric or air with just removing a few screws. I ran all my air lines behind the wall. I do have a fire extinguisher right next to the door as you come in.

Here a few more shots, I built these enclosures on the sides and one in the back. I was tired of looking at everything. The one in the back is for light fabrication, drill press, bandsaw, grinders, welder and to store the air compressor. The sides are for oil storage, chemicals and a utility closest for brooms, vacuum, stuff like that.

FrankChastain 07-11-2012 07:04 AM

Here is a couple of storage cabinet places and one has free ship.....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...age-organizers

http://www.u-sav.com/garagestoragedi...Fcdk7AodGklolQ