CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Solid lifters in Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70885)

Tim H 09-03-2018 09:02 PM

Solid lifters in Stock

When the rule was changed to allow solid lifters in Stock eliminator engines that were previously hydraulic equipped, did racers change cams or just install solid lifters ? What typically would they set valve lash at ? Not looking for top secret info just a general idea.
I have seen solid cams run in engines (not NHRA stockers) with hydraulic lifters that seemed to work "ok" but never the reverse procedure,

Dave Noll 09-03-2018 09:53 PM

Re: Solid lifters in Stock

Myself, I have just switched lifters. BUT, the pattern on the cam had to appear normal, I lubed the lifters just like installing a new cam. Put break in oil in the pan. Set lash and ran it for a Half hour at 2500. With a hydraulic cam there are no clearance ramps ground into it so I run lash tighter than usual. (under .010)

Rsmith38 09-04-2018 01:19 PM

I installed solid lifters on hydraulic cam and was told by a well known cam grinder to set lash at .004 - works fine!

David Lee 09-04-2018 01:50 PM

has anyone noticed a hp increase or a better et?

Alan Nyhus 09-04-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lee (Post 571868)
has anyone noticed a hp increase or a better et?

-With solids, you loose lift at the valve due to the lash under running conditions.

-With true hydraulics, the theoretical lash is '0'. In reality, there is some compression of the retained oil in the lifter. How much? .004? .006? More? less?

And since the lift is checked at '0' lash.....;) -Al

Rob Petrie E395 02-03-2019 10:22 PM

Going from non shimmed Hydraulic Roller Lifters to solid roller lifters. What would you expect to see as far as performance increase?

Dan Fahey 02-04-2019 06:56 PM

The way I see it...
Solid Lifters allowed an engine to spin tighter with the same Spring.

Over the years (decades) Hydraulics improved with Short Travel Lifters and other modifications to get them to behave more like a Solid Lifter.

Couple questions.
Are Solid Lifters Lighter than Hydraulics?

Do solids allow better ramp rates and duration?

Is there any improvement to valvetrain control?

Mark Yacavone 02-05-2019 06:32 PM

Minus 4 thou lift not a big issue to me .Probably lose that much on the other side with hydraulics.
Last year, guys were talking .010.
Any more real world, hands on reports about lash from last season?

Nmbr1GMfan 02-05-2019 06:55 PM

I am in the process of switching from hydraulics to solids on the same cam (originally ground by crane who was of little help to me) (maybe I talked to the wrong guy). Called Bullet, they were very very helpful and instructed me to swap to an "EDM" lifter @ .008 hot. I'm going to tighten the lash from there on the dyno to see if there's any + or - results. I hope there is a peformance improvement for me with lifters, pushrods, rockers and properly setup springs.

Pat6868 02-05-2019 10:27 PM

Treating your cam , Nitride or Cryo is worth looking into.