CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=20986)

BIGDAD 10-09-2009 11:28 PM

64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

At the recent "fallnationals" in Ennis, Texas .. I seen a 1964 Hardtop running GT/EA ..

I seen him LIFT OFF the hood later and it had a single 4 barrel intake with a Edelbrock intake , it was a wedge style motor and to my eyes, it looked like a basic bracket setup ..?

I can't keep up on the rules on what is and what isn't like most can but, since when is a car like this allowed in super-stock ?

I think it was Jim Hale , but I can not confirm that, its just a guess on my part

GTX JOHN 10-10-2009 12:40 AM

Re: 64 Plymouth GT/EA in Ennis

Any production V8 of same manufacturer is legal in GT. Probably a 440 or possibly a very light 383 combination.

Adger Smith 10-10-2009 07:30 AM

From Drag Race central Dallas SS Q- final
38 4406 GT/EA Jim Hale, Van Buren AR, '64 Plymouth 10.150 10.95 -0.800

X-TECH MAN 10-10-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGDAD (Post 145260)
At the recent "fallnationals" in Ennis, Texas .. I seen a 1964 Hardtop running GT/EA ..

I seen him LIFT OFF the hood later and it had a single 4 barrel intake with a Edelbrock intake , it was a wedge style motor and to my eyes, it looked like a basic bracket setup ..?

I can't keep up on the rules on what is and what isn't like most can but, since when is a car like this allowed in super-stock ?

I think it was Jim Hale , but I can not confirm that, its just a guess on my part

Yeah....and the NHRA guys bitch about IHRA classes. Look at the mess NHRA made of S/S. It sounds like a 383 in a light wt. alum front end S/S Hemi Plymouth. The S/S race Hemi packeage had a lift off hood. The Max wedge packages had bolt on hoods.

John Lang 10-10-2009 07:55 AM

X-Tech nab, I hate to say your wrong, BUT, 64 Ply & Dodge Hemi cars had hinged hoods, with very lite springs ! Two guys from my home had HEMI cars in 64, 1 had the alum package, in a Savoy, the other had the HEMI in a 64 Belvedere 2 Dr Htp which was a Steel car, except for the Scoop Which was Alum !! There was only 13 HEMI cars built with the Steel Package in the only available body which was a BELVEDERE 2 Dr HTP ! Dodge also built the STEEL version using the 440 2 Dr HTp, and the HEMI ,also with the Alum scoop ! Dodge also built approx 13 Steel cars, the rest of the HEMI cars had the THE ALUM package ........! Later,,,,,,,, John

Stewart Way 10-10-2009 08:23 AM

Although the rule book says any production V8 of the same make, year optional, there is another unwritten rule. If the car you run in GT has a functional hoodscoop your engine combo has to have come from a fresh air combo. At least that is what Bruce Bachelder has told me. For the Mopar, anything from 340 up was available with a shaker in 70 and the Chally Drag Pac engines will work.

X-TECH MAN 10-10-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lang (Post 145283)
X-Tech nab, I hate to say your wrong, BUT, 64 Ply & Dodge Hemi cars had hinged hoods, with very lite springs ! Two guys from my home had HEMI cars in 64, 1 had the alum package, in a Savoy, the other had the HEMI in a 64 Belvedere 2 Dr Htp which was a Steel car, except for the Scoop Which was Alum !! There was only 13 HEMI cars built with the Steel Package in the only available body which was a BELVEDERE 2 Dr HTP ! Dodge also built the STEEL version using the 440 2 Dr HTp, and the HEMI ,also with the Alum scoop ! Dodge also built approx 13 Steel cars, the rest of the HEMI cars had the THE ALUM package ........! Later,,,,,,,, John

I will have to argue that point. I grew up next to a neighbor (Dan "SMOKER" Smith) and I was 17 years old at the time (1964) so I was really into cars at that time. His Original 1964 Alum 2 door Hemi Savoy had wing nuts on all 4 corners of the hood from the factory to hold the hood on. No hood hinges were present. Same deal on the 1964 Hemi Alum 2 door sedan 330 Dodges (Color Me Gone, Ramchargers, etc.) Some had Alum dash boards and some didnt. Some had Alum doors and some didnt. After all the time has gone by I believe most made the hood eaiser to handle by themselves by making the hood attached by hinges. No argument on the steel Hemi cars although the number built is 12. ALL of the steel cars were built on June 8, 1964 AFTER the lite wt. package cars were built and these were built to satisfy NASCAR requirements at that time. ALL of the lite wt. sedans were built in May 18, 21, and 22 of 1964. That is well documented. The 1964 Max wedge Alum cars had lite wt. springs no matter which body style the Alum was mounted on though most were 2 door sedans. All of the early Mopar stuff was not written is stone. Note proof of what I say is a picture of a 64 Dodge Hemi 330 sedan on page 52 of "MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE" Mopar Super Stock Drag Racing 1962-1969 written by Jim Schild. On page 53 there is mention in the text about the light wt. body package on the Plymouth (code 311) and the Dodge (code 611) using four threaded and plated hood pins being used with large plated wing nuts. Dont forget that a lot of Max Wedge racers converted their cars to Hemi power later in the year (Bud Fauble, Tommy Grove) so these could have had hinged hoods. Some continued to run the original Max Wedge hood scoop instead of the Hemi scoop at that time. As far as A/FX cars their were only 4 produced from original S/S cars (2 Dodges & 2 Plymouths). These were called 2% cars. Dave Strickler "Dodge Boys", RamChargers, Tommy Groves Melrose Missle, and Al Eckstrand's "Law Man". Tom Groves car was originaly a wedge car. They also show a 64 Dodge 330 Hemi car on page 55 of this book as a restoration (not a perfect restoration as in no Magniesum front wheels. All of the Lite wt. package Hemi cars were so equip from the factory with these wheels) showing hood hinges and NO lite wt. springs attached. It was 45 + years ago when these cars hit the strips so who is to say what is correct or not? Later back at you. Terry

Dave Turner 10-10-2009 12:29 PM

Terry, that's just too much detail and reference laden not to be factual!!

X-TECH MAN 10-10-2009 03:14 PM

P.S. one more note. In every picture of S/S run offs at the Indy nationals of 1964 the Hemi cars are shown WITHOUT the Magniesum front wheels and running steel replacement wheels so should we assume that NHRA said NO to the lite wt. front wheels in S/S and only allowed them in FX? It could be the same story on the hood hinges on 1964 cars as the 1965 cars later came with bolt on hoods and without mag wheels. Are there any 65 + year old Hemi racers still out there who could shed more info about this?

troublemaker427 10-10-2009 03:33 PM

All four of the '64 AFX cars "2%" cars started as max wedge cars. In early photos they even had the double hump hood scoops. All of the available 426 Hemis were in Daytona going in circles....:rolleyes: