CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=66887)

63corvette 07-13-2017 10:26 AM

Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

I seem to have an issue with the front road side outside wheel bearing on my Renegade triple axle trailer.
I pack the bearings each January and the last two years that same bearing has gone out before years end. The same one none of the others. This year it gave up in July at mid year. Alignment seems ok it does not wear the tire different than normal and I have not abused it against curbs etc so I am at a loss for what is wrong.
This last failure I found many of the sticks from the bearing in the fresh looking grease inside the hub. Plenty of grease so it was not dry. From research on the internet of pictures of different failures the closest to what mine looked like called it a cage failure. I had never heard of such a failure however, I guess you learn something new every day if you just try.
The axles came with bearings marked Made in China. The trailer place I usually buy bearings told me that was where all their bearings came from and I have replaced them with the China made until now.
I found a bearing supplier that sold me Timken Made in USA bearings as a direct replacement. I am going to try them and in fact have bought a full set to change out all the China made as I pack them in January.
I am going to replace both sides of the front axle this next week and see how the Made in the USA bearings hold up.
Anyone with similar issues?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX

Tom Moock 07-13-2017 12:22 PM

Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

I`m no expert on this, if it was my trailer I would put a new hub on the axle with the problem, I have a 2008 Cottrell 7 car semi trailer and they had problem with the sealed bearing, they had bearing go bad & catch the trailer`s on fire, burn the trailer & all the cars on the trailer, They replaced all my hubs & bearing on warranty with sealed bearing, Then they recalled that fix & put oil bath bearing and new hubs on trailer. Tom

Jeff Teuton 07-13-2017 12:32 PM

Possibly too tight?? Makes heat and fails?

Bobby DiDomenico 07-13-2017 03:04 PM

Rick,
I'm not familiar with these, is there an inner and outer bearing?
If so, when you replaced the outer did you replace the inner bearing assembly as well? IIRC if the inner one is somewhat loose might it cause the outer one to move and have cage failure?
I hate roadside repairs!

63corvette 07-13-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton (Post 539372)
Possibly too tight?? Makes heat and fails?

Not to tight.
The other 5 would also fail if that were true.
I check them regularly for heat and the last failure came within a few miles less than 5 from a rest stop where I checked for a hot bearing.

Right now it has its second new replaced hub on it.

I just can not find a reason for the same one and only one to fail.
That is why I asked the question on here.
There is a lot of experience on this forum.

Thanks
Rick

63corvette 07-13-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby DiDomenico (Post 539378)
Rick,
I'm not familiar with these, is there an inner and outer bearing?
If so, when you replaced the outer did you replace the inner bearing assembly as well? IIRC if the inner one is somewhat loose might it cause the outer one to move and have cage failure?
I hate roadside repairs!

It is a 8,000 Dexter axle with a larger inner bearing and a smaller outer bearing.
Both bearings and hub replaced each time.

One thing Dexter recommends is to torque the bearings to 125 ft lbs before backing them out and setting them with only finger tight and backed off to get the nut lock in place.
Basically zero slack in the bearings cold.
I have not seen this in black and white just the recommendation from one of the reps.
I have always set mine close to a flat on the nut loose once snugged up with a pair of channel locks for the last 40 to 50 years.
Yes I am old.
Thanks for the input.
Rick

Strawboss 07-13-2017 04:30 PM

I had a problem with a different trailer than what we have now a few years ago, the rear axle bearing on the same side would run really hot so hot it would burn you if you held your hand on it. I repacked the bearings and it would still run hot. I knew it would be just a matter of time until it would fail. I pulled the hub removed the bearings even the seal and back bearings completely washed all the grease out and repacked the bearings with a good high temp grease rated the highest I could find and from then on the hubs run cool I could hold my hand on it after several hundred miles.

MR DERBY CITY 07-13-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63corvette (Post 539381)
Not to tight.
The other 5 would also fail if that were true.
I check them regularly for heat and the last failure came within a few miles less than 5 from a rest stop where I checked for a hot bearing.

Right now it has its second new replaced hub on it.

I just can not find a reason for the same one and only one to fail.
That is why I asked the question on here.
There is a lot of experience on this forum.

Thanks
Rick

You know the problem.....CHINA.....you will be fine with the new bearings and a new hub....

voltdr 07-13-2017 07:44 PM

Rick,
I installed a TPMS on my trailer a few years ago. Highly recommend them. Mine monitors pressure and has a temp sensor that monitors the temp around the wheel. These just screw onto the valve stems. I have noticed that the right side of my trailer seems to build more heat (not too hot) that I see by the fact that the tire pressures on the right side are approx 3# higher that the left. With that being said, I think mine is an issue with how my trailer is loaded. My dragster and related items favor the right side of my trailer. Not sure, but something like this may be part of your issue. Maybe the attitude of the trailer as it goes down the highway could be a problem. Does the trail tilt slightly downward in the front causing more weight to be put on that axle? The roads we travel on are not flat, maybe adding to your issues. This seems to be more of an issue with triple-axle trailers. It would be interesting if we could scale our trailers like we do our race cars. That would definitely tell something.
Dan

63corvette 07-13-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voltdr (Post 539395)
Rick,
I installed a TPMS on my trailer a few years ago. Highly recommend them. Mine monitors pressure and has a temp sensor that monitors the temp around the wheel. These just screw onto the valve stems. I have noticed that the right side of my trailer seems to build more heat (not too hot) that I see by the fact that the tire pressures on the right side are approx 3# higher that the left. With that being said, I think mine is an issue with how my trailer is loaded. My dragster and related items favor the right side of my trailer. Not sure, but something like this may be part of your issue. Maybe the attitude of the trailer as it goes down the highway could be a problem. Does the trail tilt slightly downward in the front causing more weight to be put on that axle? The roads we travel on are not flat, maybe adding to your issues. This seems to be more of an issue with triple-axle trailers. It would be interesting if we could scale our trailers like we do our race cars. That would definitely tell something.
Dan

Loading is an interesting thought. When towing the front of the trailer is about an inch or a little more taller in the front than the rear on level ground.
The trailer has a five foot lower and upper cabinet on the road side and is loaded with tools etc. I then pull a golf cart alongside the cabinet all the way to the front.
I would think the golf cart weight would offset the tool box however, the tools may outweigh the cart.
I will try to redistribute some of the weight along with the new USA made bearings.

I appreciate all the comments some of which I had not considered.
Thanks again,
Rick Cates