CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What Brake Controler???? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=36398)

Bob Lasko 10-02-2011 05:58 PM

What Brake Controler????

What brake controller would you recommend???? I have a 2008 chevy 2500, and tow a 28 foot enclodes trailer.

Thanks,
Bob Lasko

Bob Bender 10-02-2011 06:04 PM

Re: What Brake Controler????

I got mine at Wal-Mart 5 years ago and still woorking.

jim powers 10-02-2011 06:26 PM

tekonsha prodigy 2 ,easy to install and adjust

Tom Moock 10-02-2011 06:28 PM

Bob, 2008 Chevy 2500 should have controller built in dash from factory, if it has trailer towing package.Tom

Bob Lasko 10-02-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Moock (Post 285801)
Bob, 2008 Chevy 2500 should have controller built in dash from factory, if it has trailer towing package.Tom

This truck, I did not orderit with the controller,duh.

Greg Barsamian 10-02-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim powers (Post 285799)

X2 on the Tekonsha Prodigy ll

Keith 944 10-03-2011 12:06 AM

i have one i just took out of my motor home (prodigy) i will sell very reasonable if interested.

sc180b 10-04-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Lasko (Post 285794)
What brake controller would you recommend???? I have a 2008 chevy 2500, and tow a 28 foot enclodes trailer.

Thanks,
Bob Lasko

There are a lot of good controllers on the market.
The most important part of the electric brake system is the the magnet and inside magnet surface of the brake drum. The magnet surface in the brake drum should be a flat surface with no grooves or ridges. Machining this surface on a used drum often puts it too far away from the magnet to work properly. It worries me when I hear the brakes are making a humming sound, this indicates the magnets are not properly attaching themselves to the inside of the brake drum.
There is a hydraulic disc brake system on the market to replace the existing electric brake system. This system works off the same brake controller that most electric brake system use. The hydraulic disc brake system can be retrofitted to all existing axles. The stopping is ability is much safer.

FrankM 10-05-2011 12:53 PM

I have a Prodigy and would never buy another one. I have a 24' enclosed and a 5th wheel camper I use it on and find it very erratic. It might be related to the Allison tranny braking but the inertia sensor is sensitive. It does adjust easily though, which is the one good thing when alternating trailers.

Jim Wahl 10-06-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim powers (Post 285799)

Put one on the truck and in the RV, then I read the directions that said they have a bracket that you can take it out of one and plug into the other like a GPS ! I didn't need to buy two of them. Oh well they are the best out there right now and I can't believe how much smoother the braking is now! Jim