CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Stocker build (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68288)

JoeCool108 11-22-2017 03:46 PM

Stocker build

Looking to get back into Stock eliminator racing.. years ago ran a 74 Mustang II with a 2.3L auto in W/SA was a ton of fun!! I kow there has been alot of back and forth about build one Vs Buy one already done..Budget could be in issue buying a completed one, but just depends.. Here is what I have here: 1993 Mustang Convertible 2.3L Auto, 1969 Pontiac Catalina Wagon 400ci 2 bbl.. so initial cost would be zero.. however Id possibly like to build a 3rd gen camaro with a V6 or low HP V8.. Again many comments on building a slower car Vs a quicker one.. some people like to chase, some prefer to be chased.. Any thoughts guys??

Bill Bogues 11-22-2017 08:22 PM

Re: Stocker build

81 Camaro with a 267 in U.

Bob Shaw 11-22-2017 08:50 PM

The Catalina wagon should be a good Q/SA car.

Terry Cain 11-23-2017 01:39 PM

I'd be interested in Catalina if you decide to sell.

Billy Nees 11-25-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool108 (Post 550206)
Looking to get back into Stock eliminator racing.. years ago ran a 74 Mustang II with a 2.3L auto in W/SA was a ton of fun!! Any thoughts guys??

Ya know, sometimes we take this whole thing too seriously. If you want to do it RIGHT NOW, then buy one. Personally, I enjoy the build. Whatever you decide, make sure that you are having fun doing it because you aren't going to make any money doing it. Go for the "ton of fun!!".

kansas stocker 11-27-2017 03:49 PM

Or two + tons of fun if you go with the Catalina. If Bob Shaw has been wrong on one of these deals, I've never seen it.
Pete

oldskool 11-29-2017 08:55 PM

I'm just a "has been", who never was much. But, I love Pontiacs. So, this caught my eye. There's a LOT I don't understand about Stock racing today. So, I'd like to ask some dummy questions. Since it's the off season. maybe some of you guys will have time to offer opinions & maybe supply info I can't find.

If the info I found on the Class Racer Info site is correct, that '69 Cat wagon 400 2-barrel engine is rated at 290hp. Looks to me as tho you'd have to get NHRA to reduce that a LOT, to even be able to run the index. I'm guessing that nobody has ever tried to run this engine in a serious Stocker.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...6&MAKE=Pontiac

So, lets say he builds the car. What are the chances he could get the hp factor reduced to a reasonable number, and aprox how long would that process take ?

If he had to run the 2-barrel @ 290hp, looks like a 4-barrel 400 would be much more competitive. The 330hp '68 400's have done quite well, in Birds. And the low compression 400's from the mid '70's have also done quite well. And some of those can run the 800 Q-jets.

It would obviously be a lot easier to pick a body which can run an engine, with a good hp factor. So, I'd just like to hear some examples of guys that built a car which could only use an engine with a bad hp factor, then had good luck getting NHRA to quickly reduce the factor, enuff to allow the guy to get it down to it's index, without too much trouble.

All good examples will be appreciated. Thanks !

Bob Shaw 11-29-2017 11:18 PM

I was thinkin the 265 hp engine.

Dan Fahey 11-30-2017 11:58 AM

I remember having a 1980 or 82 Pontiac Wagon with a 400 Pontiac Engine with a Qjet.

That car was a good road car.
Shares the same suspension back to 1964.

D

Mark Yacavone 11-30-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 550715)
I remember having a 1980 or 82 Pontiac Wagon with a 400 Pontiac Engine with a Qjet.

That car was a good road car.
Shares the same suspension back to 1964.

D

No 400's after 78 in wagons.
Not the same suspension..Metric, different angles.
71 -76 wagons had leaf springs.