CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Schubeck lifters (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=51434)

treessavoy 01-18-2014 08:04 PM

Schubeck lifters

What's the proper break-in procedures for these lifters on a solid lift cam? Oil, rpms, spring pressure, etc.
This is my first times using these and I have been told that break-in is much like break-in using roller lifters, is that correct?

JimR

randy wilson 01-18-2014 08:24 PM

Re: Schubeck lifters

There is no break in procedure. But unless you have the full ceramic solids, I'd be very careful with the solid, or hydraulic ceramic bottoms. Cost me a good engine.

Jim Hanig 01-19-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treessavoy (Post 417045)
What's the proper break-in procedures for these lifters on a solid lift cam? Oil, rpms, spring pressure, etc.
This is my first times using these and I have been told that break-in is much like break-in using roller lifters, is that correct?

JimR

What ever you plan to race with CK the lifter bore .0017 to 002 and keep up with the pressure

Todd Hoven 01-19-2014 01:52 PM

No break in proceedure, set the valve adjustment and run em.
Be aware if and when your engine is in valve float, and run enough spring pressure. Nothing wrong with these if you pay attention. Many racers run these for a long time with positive results.

Robert Simpson 01-22-2014 01:55 PM

Jim, as the other said no brake in necessary. What we did when we did a cam change was take a spring shim out, warm the car up a couple times, checking things as we went. Then installed the shims back in to put the seat pressure where it needs to be, then run it. I know these steps are not necessary but I was extra cautious. We run a sbc, hyd set up. I know it is a different combo, but we run shubecks.

Robert

treessavoy 01-22-2014 08:18 PM

Thanks guys,

Application is max wedge, solid cam

JimR

Casey Miles 01-23-2014 09:23 AM

I just had a Schubeck lifter loose it's puck, the engine got f**ked. Never put them in any engine again. Use tool steel lifters for now on.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock!

Duane Eiskant II 01-30-2014 01:11 PM

Like Todd said you have to stay on top of spring pressures with the puck style lifter. If you dont the cams are so aggresive these days it actually throws the lifter off the lobe, when it comes back down and makes contact the puck gets knocked off. Im extra cautious about spring pressures simply for that reason and probably have WAY to much, but (knock on wood) ive used the same schubecks that Jeff Velde gave me 10 years ago that came out of one of his engines. Same thing applies for the roller lifters, thats the reason they break the wheels off, not enough spring pressure and everything starts bouncing.

pro stock chuck 01-30-2014 02:01 PM

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if these are Schubeck dont use them. With Schubeck you dont know if they are the US made or the overseas ones you could have a real problem on your hands. If they are the Smith Machine ones your good to go. Chuck

Jim Hanig 01-31-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pro stock chuck (Post 418636)
Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if these are Schubeck dont use them. With Schubeck you dont know if they are the US made or the overseas ones you could have a real problem on your hands. If they are the Smith Machine ones your good to go. Chuck

Not true the Smith lifters have almost the same failure rate. think smith made the bodys or subecks.