CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help!! (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=32331)

Ed Wright 03-23-2011 08:28 PM

Help!!

I hope you guys have an idea about this. When I let go of the trans brake button my car has begun to cut off & back on real quick. About a tenth off in 60' when it does it. Often only first pass of the day. I have tugged on wires, tightened grounds, replaced the trans brake solenoid, MSD box, crank trigger, disconnected the tach, etc. The battery voltage to the XFI ECU doesn't change when it does this. Two new NAPA batteries also. Only thing I wanted to replace last week was the microswitch on my Biondo button. Have a new on now. Going to test again Saturday. I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks, Ed

Chad E532 03-23-2011 09:15 PM

Re: Help!!

Ed,
Have a look at this product from Shogun.

https://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi...ew_item=101003

It might be worth a call up there to see what their engineers have to say about your issue.

Chad

Ed Wright 03-23-2011 09:52 PM

Chad, a couple of years ago I asked about that and was told it was illegal for SS. I have wondered about a simple capacitor to try to dampen posdible voltage spikes. Pete Peery says he has a microswitch not open cleanly so it was bumping the 2 step again. I waited too long last week to find another microswitch and the problem was still there at the track Sunday. New one on it now, just looking for more things to look at before I take it back out Sat.

Thanks.

Ken Etter 03-23-2011 10:07 PM

I had an intermittant miss in my SS car. Drove me crazy,tried everything.Turns out it was the microswitch in the TB button. The vibrations would make it activate the 2 step. I replaced the switch and mounted the button on rubber to try to isolate vibrations.

Myron Piatek 03-23-2011 10:23 PM

If it's only on the first pass of the day, perhaps it could be something related to the carb/jetting/vacuum signal. It may be momentarily too lean because the engine isn't "heat soaked" from previous runs and bogging.

Chad Rhodes 03-23-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myron Piatek (Post 248218)
If it's only on the first pass of the day, perhaps it could be something related to the carb/jetting/vacuum signal. It may be momentarily too lean because the engine isn't "heat soaked" from previous runs and bogging.

now you're gonna have Ed searching all over that LT one for a CARBURETOR. I know he's old but don't mess with him like that, lol.

Myron Piatek 03-23-2011 10:52 PM

lol Oops. Well, he didn't say what he had and I didn't know.
But the theory is still the same - momentary lean. Don't know what may have changed from before the problem appeared. Just a possibility to consider.

SS Engine Guy 03-23-2011 11:56 PM

You have probably already checked this but pay close attention to anything going thru the firewall even if thick grommets are used. I have helped chase this stuff down on several cars that only happened on the leave and only for what seemed like milliseconds. Very small nicks not readily apparant to the naked eye. Seems that the offshore grommet sources quality control was lacking.

Ed Wright 03-24-2011 09:02 AM

Ken may have it. Pete Peery told me the same thing. I have a new microswitch on it now, maybe it's fixed. It's the only thing I didn't get changed out last week. Self employed, but you would think I could make a run across town to the electronics store to pick one up. This semi-retirement ain't very "semi" yet. Still busier than I would prefer. Got a new switch this week anyway. Two guys that had the same issue with the switch makes me feel a little more confident.

Thanks guys!

Ed Carpenter 03-24-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Wright (Post 248181)
I hope you guys have an idea about this. When I let go of the trans brake button my car has begun to cut off & back on real quick. About a tenth off in 60' when it does it. Often only first pass of the day. I have tugged on wires, tightened grounds, replaced the trans brake solenoid, MSD box, crank trigger, disconnected the tach, etc. The battery voltage to the XFI ECU doesn't change when it does this. Two new NAPA batteries also. Only thing I wanted to replace last week was the microswitch on my Biondo button. Have a new on now. Going to test again Saturday. I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks, Ed

The REAL solution to your problem is a Jerico transmission. That way you don't have to worry about a transbrake button going bad. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!